Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Climbers and walls

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Climbers and walls Reply with quote

I'm planning on planting some honeysuckles along my wall. I've read previous posts about various trailing styles. Just wondering is there any climbers that selfgrip to walls ?
janelee
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ivies and there are so many types. The evergreen english ivies come in lots of different leaf styles and final heights. Boston ivy is also self clinging but is bare during the winter. Dont know how important that is to you foxroxks. But the Boston ivy has a pretty red colour in autumn.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Hydrangea Petiolaris and some forms of Virginia Creeper? However it is best to do a little research first and choose what is appropriate for the height of your walls, and whether you prefer evergreen or deciduous cover. And as janelee says, there are so many lovely ivies, and they are important to wildlife too.
sam2008

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a low wall say about 3ft tall then you could look for a dwarf euonymus like emerald and gold. It is known to cling. Not sure about the taller ones clinging to the taller walls though
foxroxks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wall is about 6 foot and was wanted to add a good bit of colour so was thinking of a flowering climber rather than an ivy.
janelee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxroxks wrote:
The wall is about 6 foot and was wanted to add a good bit of colour so was thinking of a flowering climber rather than an ivy.

well the honey suckles will add a bit of colour to that size of a wall. Not amazing compared to say Clematis, but where the honeysuckle wins is by scent. Unfortunatly both are not self clinging so require trellising or netting to climb on. Could you see yourself putting up some of this support for your climbers foxroxks? Climbing roses although they need a bit more care are another possibilty but again need support.
PennyG
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one for color and looks pretty, is Scarlet Bean Runner, very nice.
foxroxks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

So Ive decided to put up a trellis (when I say I, I mean I 'm putting my old man to work) as it seems the best option for what i want. I got some morning glory seeds started in the greenhouse. I hear they are good at attracting some good bugs to the garden. So my question is what would be nice to grow with this. I like the idea of having something different every second plant.
foxroxks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on adding colour to this wall. I have 2 questions.

1 the more I read about morning glory the more I think Ive made a bad decision. I've read its actually a weed? & likely to take over the garden if the flowers are not dead headed each day. Is this true?

2 does anybody know were to find arctic queen clematis or infact any bright double bloom clematis ?

thanks in advance for any advice Very Happy
PennyG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, i have grown Morning Glory on the side of my house for a few years now, and i have never had an issue with it, but you might have to trim it back some if you want it to stay on a trellis or such.
Sometimes people mistake Morning Glories for what is called Field Bindweed, and that truely is a weed, here is a link
www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/bindweed.htm - 13k

Hope that helps you some.

If you do have that growing and cant get rid of it, trying putting some sugar directly on the plant and it will kill the roots, or molasses works too Very Happy
foxroxks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that penny.

I've already started growing it so have decided to put it into another part of the garden in pots & see how it gets on.

Went to the garden centre today & with some advice from the staff I've gotten jasinum nudiflorum, hydrangea petiolaris, clematis avalanche & clematis montana. I was advised in which order to plant them but have forgotten already Confused . Anybody any good at this type of thing

This is my first year adding flowers to my garden so any advice would be much appreciated .

thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: