Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Ladybirds?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Ladybirds? Reply with quote

Last year I noticed some green bugs on 1 of my apple trees but because the weather was so horrible i never got a chance to threat it properly. I was reading about ladybugs I think this might help the problem. I was googling and can't seem to find any resonable ladybird houses and was just wondering if anybody knew anywhere could get a couple.
Thanks
foxroxks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a website that shows how to make your own ladybird houses which I think I'll do instead. so my next question is when are ladybirds available to buy?. I checked out previous posts and they are not availble from sites already mentioned. also just checking do ladybirds harm any vegetables. I dont want to fix one problem and end up with another.
Thanks for any advice
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of ladybirds damaging vegetables. I've no idea if you can buy ladybirds......their numbers vary from year to year depending on the weather, so be patient, I'm sure they'll turn up in the spring to feast on your aphids (especially if you're not using insecticides)
foxroxks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sive. I have four fruit trees any a good few fruits bushes aswell as the veg and by what I've read I'd need alot of ladybirds to eat all the bugs. I have found a website that sell the ladybirds and the lavae. They only deliver to the UK but will use them if I can't find an Irish supplier.

here the link

http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Ladybirds.html
sorcha
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you live, but I know that Mr. Middleton's garden shop in Capel Street, Dublin were selling boxes of newborn ladybirds around May last year. There has to be more places selling them though - have you tried asking in a local garden shop?

The link is http://www.mrmiddleton.com/shop/home.php anyway. If you have no luck locally, maybe they could tell you over the phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: