Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

What type of hedge to sow.

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
squire1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: What type of hedge to sow. Reply with quote

Hi newbie and gardening novice here looking for some advice. I've been keeping my eye on this site for a while as I knew the time would come when I would need some help. I've recently completed a new house and am getting around to landscaping about now.

I have approximately 200M of fencing on two sides of the site that needs hedge. I am lucky enough to have a site that has some well estabIished native trees already in place like silver birch, sycamore, oak and ash and some more I cant name so would rather use native Irish hedging and am tending towards whitethorn hedging although I know little about it. Beech is nice but there is a little bit too much of it around my area already. My requirement is to have a hedge that I can maintain at about 1.5M high, is easily maintained (trim once a year) and provides year round privacy. I've a couple of questions ye all might be able to help me with.

What alternatives could I consider?
Where would I go about sourcing good quality hedge? I'm in North Kildare.
What should I look out for to ensure the hedge I am buying is good quality?
What is the best time of year to plant?
What is the best planting method? Currently have good quality loose topsoil to a depth of about two feet and the area is well drained.
Does the hedge need special care until it is established?
What sort of cost would I be looking at?
Anything else I sould know, look out for or consider.

Now theres a good one to start with. Thanks in advance Wink
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Squire1 and welcome to Irish Gardeners , Your'e from North Kildare , N kildare has probabily the best collection of wholesale ( they sell to the public for larger amounts ) nursries in the country . I will dig out a list and let you know later where to go . If you plan to do the whole perimeter in one go , then you would be better off planting bareroot plants as they can be 1/4 of the pot price
Cool Bugs

squire1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate that Bugs. Thanks.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Irish hedging questions Reply with quote

Lotta questions there squire1. Shocked
This topic will answer a lot of them.
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=759#759

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
squire1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish hedging questions Reply with quote

GPI wrote:
Lotta questions there squire1. Shocked

Told you I was a novice Very Happy Thanks for the link. Very useful information there. So I have to wait until November until I can plant my hedge (bareroot seems most economical). Gives me a bit of time to source some good suppliers.

Something that concerns me is the fact that the location can be fairly breezy. Your link mentions resettling the plants but would the wind necessarily damage the plant. i.e. do I need a windbreak (expense and aesthetics) or will just keeping an eye on the plants for a few years do?

Thanks
Macy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my whitethorn and blackthorn from Coillte Nurseries last winter (I think their catalogue is online now - they were developing the site last year). All seem to have done okay so far.

I've no wind protection netting for them yet, but I am hoping to get around to sourcing some soon (anyone have any suggestions?). It's expense of the netting v the expense of the plants I suppose. If you have the fences up then at the prevailing wind side will have a good bit of the cost (the posts and wire) up already if I understand the construction right.
Macy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I will dig out a list and let you know later where to go .

Any chance of this list Bugs? Probably close enough to me in North Wicklow to consider. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: