Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Raised beds

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Raised beds Reply with quote

Hi, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section! Anyway....
The reason I have an allotment away from the house is the garden here is just rock and stone. The only way I got a small flower bed was to dig out a patch and bring in topsoil to build it up bit by bit. I have been thinking of doing raised beds to grow things like salad and herbs as these are things I need to hand. What is the best method to use? Railway sleepers or treated timber are getting bad press for domestic use, I reckon I would need something similiar to 3 sleepers high to grow successfully. Is there any other reasonably priced timber that is suitable?
I don't have a side entrance so anything going out the back has to come through the house! Confused Confused Confused

barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I created quickly last year some raised veg beds from scaffold planks that hadnt been treated, I then just used a garden paint that was non toxix to plants and animals to treat the wood.

I only went one scaffold high, and ensured that the ground underneath the bed was well forked.

if you were to go 3 sleepers or so high, it would take an awful lot of soil to fill the bed.

I filled my bed with some top soil, and mixed in compost and manure, and it took quite a few bags to fill it. So with carrying through the house it might be easier with a smaller bed.

Hope this helps
Sb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the scaffolding planks as well. No building at the moment so lots of them going cheap i guess, Crying or Very sad for the builders but Very Happy for you. . If we get a very dry summer (promised) then vegetables in a raised bed will need a lot of watering. This is ok if grow behind your house but if your allotment is a distance away that could be trouble. Herbs in a raised will need less watering as many come from dry countries anyway.
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.I had not thought of scaffolding planks. The raised beds are for at home so watering will not be a problem. Maybe 2 boards high as only about 2 ins of soil in garden anyway.
Next question where do I get Scaffolding boards ?! Confused Confused Confused

mucky_manc.
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organicgrowingpains wrote:
Thanks for the replies.I had not thought of scaffolding planks. The raised beds are for at home so watering will not be a problem. Maybe 2 boards high as only about 2 ins of soil in garden anyway.
Next question where do I get Scaffolding boards ?! Confused Confused Confused

have a ring around local scaffolding company's...they are happy to get rid of any damaged boards...if you explain what your using them for you may get them free, if you can collect yourself. This is how I managed to get hold of the boards pictured below..!!

MM

Image035(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.66 KB
 Viewed:  5191 Time(s)

Image035(1).jpg

Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Great looking plot too. The photo upload facility will add a whole new dimension to the site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: