Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

sad hedge

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
essy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: sad hedge Reply with quote

hi essy here. just joined site and am very new to gardening.my problem is we have escalloni hedging about 4 to 5 years old al least 6 feet high around our house. up to this year all good , but, now it has become see through lost its leaves and loks very brown. what is wrong does anyone know. would be so grateful for any help. thanks essy Exclamation
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know what the problem is, but appears to be widespread. Neighbours here in wexford have the same problems with their escalloni. Looks very weak and see through.
essy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks michael for your info. have noticed it a little around here too but not to the extent that we have.i wonder would it have anything to do with it being so high.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sad hedge Reply with quote

essy wrote:
hi essy here. just joined site and am very new to gardening.my problem is we have escalloni hedging about 4 to 5 years old al least 6 feet high around our house. up to this year all good , but, now it has become see through lost its leaves and loks very brown. what is wrong does anyone know. would be so grateful for any help. thanks essy Exclamation

It is not unusual for the leaves of an Escallonia hedge to blacken and shed in winter, especially if you received a touch of freezing breezes. Where are you located, any harsh frosts?
I know it never happened before, but the hedge is now taller now (catching more wind), and something may have change in the environs eg. neighbours sheltering hedges, sheds or walls being removed.
So look for changes in your surroundings first.

Escallonia is generally disease and virus free, but fungal leaf spot can be a problem, causing total leaf loss in the case of already weakened plants.

So the course of action I suggest is......

Half way up one of the main trunks of each Escallonia, you should lightly scrape the surface bark to inspect for life, in the form of green or white tissue with traces of sap.

If this looks good, I would then give the affected hedging plants a reduction in height and width by approx a quarter, or until you cut into sappy wood, whichever happens first.
Do this the end of March/early April.
When pruning your Escallonia plants ensure you create clean cuts without ragged edges.
Disease is more rampant on poorly pruned specimens.
To prevent disease transfer between plants, you must wipe down your pruners with alcohol or surgical spirit before and after pruning.

Enforce strict garden hygiene around your Escallonia.
Rake out and remove any dead leaves at the base of the hedge, destroy these at a safe distance away by burning.
Also, remove any dead or badly damaged leaves on the plants and destroy these as well.
Fungal spores may exist on these dead / damaged leaves and spread the disease through wind and rain dispersal.

An Escallonia plant under stress will suffer more from the effects diseases and viruses.
De-stress your plants by keeping them well watered in dry spells and keeping them fed throughout the growing season.
Apply a pelleted chicken manure once a season; this should be adequate if you have an open, friable soil but it is not effective in heavy, sticky clay soils. In that case, you could also try applying a foliar feed such as Phostrogen or Miracle-gro (when the leaves return).

For now, when you are finished pruning give the plants in the hedge a shake of fertiliser for leafy hedges (garden centre will advise) to promote new leafing.

Then sit back and wait for leaves.
If none have appeared by late summer, I'm sorry but you should remove the affected plants and replace with something other than Escallonia (resistant to whatever the Escallonia died from).

essy, I would love to see a pic of the affected leaves anyway, to make myself more aware of this problem.
Look for spotted ones as well as black .

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
essy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gpi for your informative reply.will try to get some pics on site to give you a look at the problem.live in tipperary , the hedging is pretty well sheltered so i really hope it is not diseased. will take your advice and over the next few days will check out hedging. thanks essy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: