Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

2009 Seed sowing

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: 2009 Seed sowing Reply with quote

First of all, may I wish Admin and all site members/ visitors a very happy and productive new year.Has anyone any advice on early seed sowing, what , when and how. The where will have to be indoors on a windowsill or in a greenhouse for those lucky enough to have one. Are runner beans the best bet for early sowing, I just want to see some new growth some day soon!
We have onions and garlic sown in the allotment since Oct. The onions were coming on OK but something ,Birds, Rabbits? have taken to pulling the green leaf off of them! I intend replacing them on 15th Jan which I am told is a root day by the biodynamic calender and also planting out red onion sets on that day, weather permitting.
Purple sprouting broccoli is growing fine, pulling the leeks which, while not huge in girth have about 7" of white stem and taste lovely.
Rhubarb is showing shoots above ground and I have covered it with compost and an upturned pot for a bit of protection for a while.
Confused Confused Smile Smile

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have got a lot on even in this down time Organicgrowingpains. I think March is the earliest for runner beans and even then they are started under cloches. You can still so winter lettuce if you are dying for a bit of new growth. Is your garlic gone in?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2009 Seed sowing Reply with quote

Organicgrowingpains wrote:
First of all, may I wish Admin and all site members/ visitors a very happy and productive new year.

Thanks for that Organicgrowingpains. Very Happy
Good to know things are coming on ok, bar a few hiccups.
I suppose as soon as February arrives you can look at salad onion seed sown into open soil. You could even get the jump on things in late January by sowing summer cabbage and cauliflower seed under cover along with lettuce.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cooler, garlic went in in oct with the onions but obviousley does not have the same appeal to what ever is eating the onions as it is so far unscathed and growing well.
GPI, we are not big cabbage eaters, a half dozen plants would suffice for our annual need for it! If you visit the blog www.organicgrowingpains.blogspot.com and check the posts on cauliflower you might have some advice on them, as they grew perfectly as far as golf ball size and then just sprouted out in all directions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: