Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Does it shred?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Does it shred? Reply with quote

Hi all

I have decided to invest in a garden shredder as I have loads of pine tree branches I need to get rid of. I was thinking about hiring a big one for a few days but then I thought it might be a better idea to get a good one to keep..... (pine trees don't stop growing after all and it will come in useful again)

Has anyone any good experiences with a heavy duty machine that is a good price? I can go to about 300 euro or a bit more.......

Cheers

Ian

Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I have found all the commonly available shredders to be as weak as water. You will end up getting bored with its slowness of shredding then feed it a bit too much and it ends up clogged. When you say branches, what thickness are we talking about?
inishindie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

Hi Dr Sunny

Here are a couple of pics from the area. It's a bit of a wind break patch where we made a bit of room for a trampoline.....

I cut it back in the summer but am a bit afraid it will be a fire hazard if it's left to rot down

The actual branches are not too thick 6 cm at most, there are not many of those as the bulk of stuff to be shredded are the whispy bits...do you think it's too much for a small electric shredder?

Cheers

Dr. Sunny Thomson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen the common garden shredders (E300 to 400) will only shred up to 4cm. This would be a good brand like a Bosch with a 2200 W motor. Alternativly a good hire shop should be able to supply a diesel powered chipper rater than shredder for about E200 odd for a day. These chip up to about 15cms, so if you had the work lined up you would eat through it pretty quickly. The differnce should be noted in the two names shredder (small stuff) and chipper (large stuff and disposal of bodies). Razz Laughing
inishindie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: saving up Reply with quote

Hi Dr. ST

I see what you mean about the cheaper shredders. I have a habit of breaking things, especially tools, and the small shredders will not last long when I try to do pallets.....

We are a bit thin on the ground here for hire shops that have them, in fact there aren't any..... a gap in the market I think. The only one I have tracked down comes with a man and his son to operate it, so the costs would be a bit steep......

I am saving up for a bigger, better model.......

Cheers

Ian

inishindie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: got one Reply with quote

Hi

Just to say I am the proud owner of a new shredder.

I got one on offer - A Mountfield 2200, not the biggest but I am happy with it and it's surprising how quickly the pile of cuttings go down... I have had loads of fun today and the self feeding really feels good... best bit of gardening I have done for ages........I read some reviews (after I bought it which isn't always a good idea) They were pretty good though although someone moaned that it didn't shred plastic very well......................

Cheers

Ian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: