Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Polytunnel tube size?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Shay
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Polytunnel tube size? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have introduced myself on the introductions section (where else of course).
I intend buying a 3x6m polytunnel in the new year.
My site is in the midlands in ope countryside but with fencing,sheds sheltering three sides.
Will a 25mm steel tube section suffice or would people recommend a 35mm tube section?
Has anyone purchased from First Tunnels in the UKis . With the drop in stirling and the VAT reduction their prices are very attractive.

Ooops! Just noticed I posted this in the wrong section!
Import
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a pollytunnel constructed of 1" (25mm) thin wall pipe. It did not last through the first winter even though it was in a sheltered suburban garden.

My advice will be to go as thick a wall size on the pipes as is available. And go for the 35mm. The difference in price is well worth the extra few Euro (or £).

I went overboard and used galvanised water pipe 65mm! My tunnel is standing its second winter and is as sturdy as you want it. But I think I went overboard.
Shay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Import. Just the confirmation I was looking for.

I was considering building a DIY tunnel but it it would probably take me too long.

http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/Make-Your-Own-DIY-Polytunnel.htm

I actually have trouble locating 63mm OD HDPE water pipe. Loads of 50mm around but not 63mm for some reason.
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay,

You could try Morris Polytunnels located up North very reasonable when I last looked
Import

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay, I made my polytunnel myself. The pipes were bent in a semi circle for me by the local steel merchant. I have tried to get said merchant to bend me another set for a neighbour. But they are full of excuses and reasons for making a second set for my neighbour.

This DIY link you refer to seems to be using a plastic pipe mains water pipe to make the hoop. This is OK, but I doubt if that would with stand wind.

As for time - it takes as long to construct a polytunnel from a supplier as it does to construct a DIY one. The hard breaking part of the DIY one is to find a supplier to bend the galvanised water pipe
Shay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've decided to go the DIY route.
I'm currently installing the scaffold tubes which is taking a bit of time. I already had the tubes and have purchased plastic ducting pipe for €60.
I've fitted one hoop and it seems very robust. The polythene and hot spot tape should cost around €80.
I will post photos when I have finished if anyone is interested.
janelee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see some of the mentioned photos Shay. I am thinking of going down the DIY route myself. Any quantities of materials, sizes or ongoing photos would be add greatly to me and this forum of course. Very Happy
Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this strp by step tutorial on making a polytunnel. It is from Alberta in Canada but is one of the best I have seen.
http://www.albertahomegardening.com/how-to-build-an-inexpensive-hoop-style-greenhouse/
It looks quite large but I am sure can be tailored to suit individual reguirements.

Shay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a start on the DIY tunnel a couple of weeks ago and have recieved the polythene and hot spot tape from the UK.

Unfortunately it is not as easy as it looks.

It was very difficult driving the scaffold tubes into the ground while trying to avoid flating the tops.

The only area I could place it is sloping slightly in two directions which also complicated things.

However the hard bit is over and it cost around €180 for the ducting pipe, polythene, hot spot tape and timber (I already had the scaffold tubes).

Its 6x3m and would have cost in the €500-600 range for a full kit.

DSCF1212.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.39 KB
 Viewed:  17766 Time(s)

DSCF1212.JPG

rushemp1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am very new at this so hope I am in the right place. I am interested in constructing a polytunnel but due to cost would be interested in the diy method. Any suggestions on where to start?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: