Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Top o' the Mornin' from a former Mt. St. Patrick gal!

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Irish Rose
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Top o' the Mornin' from a former Mt. St. Patrick gal! Reply with quote

Greetings to all on this fine December 4, 2008 morn!
It is a definite treat to find this website and meet with other 'Irish-minded and garden-related' folk!

Although I presently live in Port Hope, Ontario, Canada I spent the first 18 years of my life on my dear ole Irish mount, Mt. St. Patrick, near Pembroke, Ontario. My love of gardening grew quickly with my grandpa's influence; Grandpa O'Brey had a very green thumb and I followed him everywhere I could.

I have a 6-year old business based on Horticultural Therapy (consultation, implementation & and programme design) from which I have taken a year off. Yes, I am once again a student. Back in college getting another year of 'tools' and supplies to add to my tool shed! This time it is a Developmental Service Worker diploma which I am pursuing; it will allow me to work with a larger population than before.

My dream is to visit my ancestral area in 2010-2011; Dysart area of County Kilkenny, Ireland.

I will be back soon, but I leave you with this thought, "Yes, I do think manure is a FINE birthday present!" Embarassed

Take care and keep growing,
The Hort Lady

Green Joe 90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum from the gardeners in South Co Kilkenny.
Irish Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: You know you are an obsessed gardener if ... Reply with quote

Thank you for the 'welcome' Green Joe and all the others gardeners in South Co Kilkenny - t'is nice to be greeted at the door with a smile Very Happy !

I gave a presentation today featuring the Canadian Horticultural Therapy Association and threw in a few laughs for the audience. They were titled 'You are an obsessed gardener if'; I copy a few here for everyone's enjoyment:

Your yard is cleaner than your house!
You wash your trowel in the dishwasher.
You mow your lawn and find a wheelbarrow.
You find your compost pile really quite interesting.
You have empty seed packets by the side of the toilet for a bit of light reading.
You have earthworms for pets
Your monthly water bill is more than the mortgage on your house
Your kids eat dinner on TV trays since the kitchen table is filled with seed flats
You have started planting flowers up at the park because there's no room left on your property
Dirt falls out of your underwear.

I went on the Christendom Active Gardens & Allotments site and found it quite interesting.

As I am new to this forum, can you please tell me if there is a separate area for South Co Kilkenny gardeners on this site?

Off to find some dinner - it is 17:32 hours here and my lunch was much to early today.

Irish Rose

BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Irish Rose. you should come to Ireland at some stage alright. Lots of excellent public gardens to see over here as well.
Irish Rose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Going home ... Reply with quote

BlackBird wrote:
Hello there Irish Rose. you should come to Ireland at some stage alright. Lots of excellent public gardens to see over here as well.

T'is yet a dream, BlackBird', but many of my dreams have come true!

What part of Ireland do you hail from? South, West, East, North or Central?
I was looking at a map of the area that I'd like to visit: http://nona.net/features/map/placedetail.640742/Dysart/ - it looks like it would not be too difficult to get there once I fly in.

I do like public gardens, however my heart melts at 'private' creations; something so basic and real in them I find. However, one can get great ideas from public gardens.

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: You know you are an obsessed gardener if ... Reply with quote

Irish Rose wrote:

I gave a presentation today featuring the Canadian Horticultural Therapy Association and threw in a few laughs for the audience. They were titled 'You are an obsessed gardener if'; I copy a few here for everyone's enjoyment:

Your yard is cleaner than your house!
You wash your trowel in the dishwasher.
You mow your lawn and find a wheelbarrow.
You find your compost pile really quite interesting.
You have empty seed packets by the side of the toilet for a bit of light reading.
You have earthworms for pets
Your monthly water bill is more than the mortgage on your house
Your kids eat dinner on TV trays since the kitchen table is filled with seed flats
You have started planting flowers up at the park because there's no room left on your property
Dirt falls out of your underwear.

Welcome Irish Rose. I remembered that another member called inishindie wrote a piece like yours on the clues that you are obsessed gardener. I dug it up for you http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1759.html
Irish Rose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Peacock Butterfly Reply with quote

Thank you, Cooler; appreciate the 'diggin' you did for me!

Can you tell me if your avator shows the Peacock Butterfly (Inachis io) - it is a tad small for me to see properly, but it looks similar. I recently saw an excellent photo of the Inachis io feeding in mid-September in Cavan, Ireland. It was great to learn that this most exotic-looking species of butterfly flits around the Emerald Isle!

Take care and keep growing,
Irish Rose

Green Joe 90

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Irish Rose, theres not enought gardeners in Kilkenny to have their own section. By the way I think you link map is Dysart County Laois not Dysart County Kilkenny.
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: dysart Reply with quote

hi irish rose i think the last poster is spot on the area on the map is dysart co laois between portlaoise and stradbally just beneath the rock of dunamaise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: