Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Tiered raised beds - planting suggestions

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bogota
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Tiered raised beds - planting suggestions Reply with quote

Looking for some suggestions re. planting plan for these raised beds here
side view
front view
As you can see, there are two tiers with a third to be added next year when I have more time.
Site is exposed with winds sweeping in over that wall 6 months of the year.
Looking for hardy shrubs towards the wall to deal with the incoming winds and provide shelter for the rest. Looking for height right at the back of the top tier - to screen off the back garden from view. Looking at trees and shrubs only as don't have time to invest in maintenance with herbaceous.
Also trying to think of plants that would trail down over the side to soften edge of sleepers and also to hide a bit of bad carpentry where lower tier meets higher tier.
Could I get a small specimen tree in there as a feature?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the the back of the bed towards the wall blue arrow Junipers might fit the bill. For the middle of beds some of the smaller phormiums are a good bet. Trailing over the edge you could go for Aubrieta possibly red cascade.
janelee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sunny Thomson wrote:

For the the back of the bed towards the wall blue arrow Junipers might fit the bill.

Not gone on the juniper myself, no offence. I would go for clumping bamboo in their place. Important to get clumping ones instead of running ones as otherwise you will run into trouble with roots and new growths. The carpentry looks ok by the way bogota. Wink Smile
bogota

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input folks. Have an area at back of garden earmarked for bamboo - although I could see how a clump right in the corner would work. However, paying for them is another story! Very expensive - am considering buying seeds of ebay and growing from scratch.
Will put juniper on the shortlist but want to leave the aubrieta. Want to stay away from herb/perrenials and stick with rugged shrubs...although i do understand what your saying in that it will trail over the edge.

Other plants I was considering were ...
Cotinus cogigrya
Choisya ternata
Rhus Typhina (on higher tier at back).
Olearia macranta (to tackle those strong winds.
Maybe even laburnum vossii
Any thoughts on those?

Next year I will complete the final tier (right at front where grass is now). Really would like to get a specimen/architectural tree in there. Obviously, its got to be small in form. Any suggestions?
bogota

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics seem to have dissappeared?? Not having much luck posting images on forums/boards these days....can't understand what i'm doing wrong.
Last time I checked, Dr. S. Thompson above had reposted them in his actual post...but they're also gone now...
Might have a go at reposting when I get home Shocked

>>>>>>>>new pic links -

sideview
frontview
verge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogota wrote:

Pics seem to have dissappeared?? Not having much luck posting images on forums/boards these days....can't understand what i'm doing wrong.
Last time I checked, Dr. S. Thompson above had reposted them in his actual post...but they're also gone now...
Might have a go at reposting when I get home Shocked

I see them all now. Must have been a problem with the host Tinypic.

bogota wrote:

Other plants I was considering were ...
Cotinus cogigrya
Choisya ternata
Rhus Typhina (on higher tier at back).
Olearia macranta (to tackle those strong winds.
Maybe even laburnum vossii
Any thoughts on those?

Next year I will complete the final tier (right at front where grass is now). Really would like to get a specimen/architectural tree in there. Obviously, its got to be small in form. Any suggestions?

Cotinus cogigrya (nice to inject a bit of purple)
Choisya ternata (again nice, but being evergreen it may not cope with the cold winds well)
Rhus Typhina (Lovely, but gets quite big and sprawling).
Olearia macranta (probably mean Olearia macrodonta and it will tackle those strong winds, but is big and wide. Try Olearia x haastii instead.
Laburnum vossii (prone to wind throw as the roots are soft, so stake well or twice. If kids are in your or your neighbours equation, be aware that the seeds of the plant a quite poisonous.

In the shrubs also look at Pittosporum, Pinus mugo, and Escallonia 'Gold Brian' for a touch of yellow.

For the tree try Amelanchier canadensis, not architectural, but beautiful. Also Sorbus 'Sheerwater Seedling' or Sorbus 'Autumn Spire'.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest the amelanchier myself, so delighted to see a far more knowledgeable person (Verge) mentioning it !
It is a glorious little tree, delicate and beautiful, I could heartily recommend it.
I would also suggest a Rock Rose (helianthemum) which will weave its way through everything, and cascade over the edge of the raised bed...choose one that flowers in a colour that suits your other plants. and I guarantee you'll love it !
bogota

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Have taken them onboard and about to place order.

Amelanchier canadensis
Mahonia aquifolium
Laburnum vossii
2x helianthemum(yellow)
Cotinus coggygria
Rhus typhina lacinata
Miscanthus sinensis
Pittosporum tenuifolium

Will post back a pic next year when they're all settled in and beginning to take shape! Very Happy

Also, at some stage next year, will probably complete the last lower tier - which will be a similar witdth/depth to the others. Will probably stick to some hardy ground cover ...with probably just two varities of hebes. I'm hoping to get a eucalyptus in there with decorative bark - but one that is hardy enough for the west of ireland - and not too big. Is there a cultivar that fits the bill??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: