Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

olive tree (euro pea)

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
hawthorn
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: olive tree (euro pea) Reply with quote

I have an olive tree growing in a 9in pot and its about 3ft tall. will it need to be cut back or pruned at any stage.
evoke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are olive trees easy to grow outside in ireland? Would you get must of a harvest from one tree?
hawthorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly fell off my swivel seat when i opened my e.mail and saw that there was a reply to my query on the olive tree (euro pea). I said to myself "This is it, someone has come back with an answer", and even after 100 views, and over one month since i posted the query, i still have great hope and faith in Irish Gardners.com to come up with an answer. Alas it wasn't to be, its just another query from EVOKE. I will try and answer your query EVOKE, as far as i know olive trees are well adapted to the Irish climate. i have one in a pot now for a few years and it appears to be frost hardy, but in relation to harvesting i cant help you on that, nor could i help you if you had a query about its pruning, or when would be the right time, and apparently neither could anyone else.
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawthorn wrote:
I nearly fell off my swivel seat when i opened my e.mail and saw that there was a reply to my query on the olive tree (euro pea). I said to myself "This is it, someone has come back with an answer", and even after 100 views, and over one month since i posted the query, i still have great hope and faith in Irish Gardners.com to come up with an answer. Alas it wasn't to be, its just another query from EVOKE. I will try and answer your query EVOKE, as far as i know olive trees are well adapted to the Irish climate. i have one in a pot now for a few years and it appears to be frost hardy, but in relation to harvesting i cant help you on that, nor could i help you if you had a query about its pruning, or when would be the right time, and apparently neither could anyone else.

I thought gardeners were supposed to be patient. I did not know the answer but I was put out enough by your response to ask the manager of Horkans garden centre on my travels about your question. From my roughly jotted notes he said

Early summer is the time to prune. In a pot stop the main shoot at about 1.5 metres high and leave about 5 strong main side branches. Remove shoots at the base to make it more a tree than a bush. Remove dead and old side branches as olives are formed on one year old wood and the trees never bear fruit in the same place twice.
You may get some olives but dont hold out much hope. Maybe if you were in the sunny southeast. They need summers which are hot and sunny throughout their run for the fruits to ripen. You can of course just grow the olive as a bush without trying for fruit. Olive trees can take hard cutting back if needed. So if they get out of hand you can do this.

Any good for ya. Wink
hawthorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tempus Fugit"

Thanks for your response Sb, i wouldn't say i was inpatient but more wanting, for information that is, and i just wanted to get my olive tree into shape. I wasn't expecting an instant reply but just thought there would be some tree experts on here that would know a bit more then me. And as its not a native to this country and prefers the warmer climes i wasn't expecting any olives from it, its just nice to look at. Not to sure about the pictures sublinimal message Laughing

davidnugent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can prun back an olive tree but make sure the tree keeps it s v shape on top "a branch at both sides forming a v shape".but also you can leave it be,Keep it in a good sunny position,and it should fruit for you.mine has.and dont give it to much water,once a week is fine,also make sure it`s in well drained soil, best pruned after it fruits around late october :)For more info,www.hardytropicals.uk.Its a form on growing tropical plants in our climate.

Last edited by davidnugent on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI and/or Verge will have my goolies on a plate, but here's a lead to the English equivalent of Irish gardeners with a load of links you have to write it as they are pre-cooked rather than hot. The pruning advice is to do with conditions deep in Italy. Have fun, but basically olives thrive on heat sun neglect and drought in that order. They grow best on poor soil and well-drained hillsides facing southish. Having said that I've nicked olives off a tree in central London and apart from being a bit low on oil they were ok.

http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/load/italia/msg111719272403.html

The most professional link from the above site is the brilliant one at
http://www.olivebusiness.com/OliveHandbook/GrowingOlives/pruning.htm

Quote from the above site, showing that everybody is right when it comes to it!

" There are as many opinions on pruning as there are methods. The information provided below is should be used as a guideline only and research should be conducted into the benefits of the various methods of pruning, and pruning requirements for different types of harvesting. Overpruning is common amongst inexperienced grove managers." :twisted:

Last edited by walltoall on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
hawthorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Walltoll/Davidnugent better late then never. I will take a look at those links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: