Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Asparagus

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Asparagus Reply with quote

This is my first post on this website but I've been an avid reader for some time now and have got many hints and tips here. This is my second year growing vegetables but I'm hooked and can't look on an expanse of lawn without picturing it crammed with lettuce, carrots, beans, garlic.... Twisted Evil

It's been a long-time ambition to have an asparagus bed. I lived near the Vale of Evesham for a long time and really looked forward to the asparagus season. The local produce was like nectar compared to the all-year-round imported variety. The soil where I am is quite heavy clay, prone to waterlogging in wet weather but very fertile The area I've earmarked has been lawn for the past 30 years so is very compacted and full of scutch grass and creeping cinquefoil. I'd love to hear your opinions and advice on the wisdom or folly of this plan. What's the best way prepare this patch for healthy, happy asparagus plants or should I abandon asparagus altogether?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Garlicbreath and asparagus weewee Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-23996,00.html

Hello GarlicBreath

Congratulations on coming out of the long grass and posting your first. Like you, I like to read all the posts I can. I also learn a lot from the gang here and have been known to supply strong opinions too.

No doubt GPI can put it better than me about this site, but the people here have a synergy that's often more than the sum of the parts. This is a massive knowledge pool! May I refer you to the link above. Tell us if it's true.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/asparagus-grow.asp

SW

Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wallitall, both of those links were very interesting.We have asparagus growing on the allotment. I got one year old crowns and have left them die back each year so next year is harvest year. I gave them a mulch of seaweed for the winter as they are supposed to be originally a seaside plant ( see blog). Slugs don't like salt so it may work on two levels I will give an update next year when we may or may not have asparagus!
walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: I hope you are taking the paramol? Reply with quote

Yeah! But what do we tell GarlicBreath. He's describing asparagus hell. I'd say he should get some short concrete pipes about two foot across, maybe two foot in length, lay them down long-side each other, lay down about a foot of compost before filling them half and half of sand and the clay from the garden. He should be able to put in one year crowns in April and have a bit of patience for a year or two? I mean they will there for over 20 years. Have 'oo an opinion?
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article said asparagus has long roots would it not be confined in the pipes?If it would work it would be a great idea. Maybe digging out enough for a raised bed and adding plenty of compost and sand etc to improve the quality of the ground he has.
walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: asparagated and piped in Reply with quote

The pipes lie with the open ends top and bottom. The asparagus root will go right down into the waterlogged soil and head for New Zealand. The crowns will effectively spent their lives in a circular 'made-to-measure' raised bed.

http://www.frazer.eu.com/catalogue/download/concrete_drainage.pdf

at this site there's a picture of very large pipe but the right 'shape'. The info comes up in Adobe Acrobat. Check that the size is at 100% then scroll down to the first photograph. The pipe is being carried by a customised 'fork-lift'. Now that you have the idea, hunt out a pipe for yourself. You often find them lying around building sites, etc. but Please! Wait til the site is vacated 'cause technicxally you're stealing. GarlicBreath further down on this thread has the idea. He's searching the highways and byways (with a torch?)

Here's where you can make enquiries if you are afraid to sniff out a free one!

http://www.burdens.co.uk/sites/burdens.co.uk/files/Directions%20to%20Burdens%20Dublin.pdf

The thing you are looking for is a 900mm ID "perforated chamber ring" which gives you ready make drain holes Talk about 'all mod-cons'

Last edited by walltoall on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenious, wallitall! it looks to be a very good idea,not confined to a bed as such but could be placed anywhere.Would getting your hands on them be tricky or maybe with the downturn in the building these pipes could be sold off?
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all the interesting and helpful information. The suggestion to plant asparagus in upended pipes is a great one. I'm going to be peering into skips and ditches for the rest of the winter! I have a vision now of pipes of yummy asparagus surrounded by fennel, marigolds, artichokes and lavender Laughing

I do know that raised beds work. I have three good sizes ones and they crop all year round even when everywhere else squelches when walked on. I also have access to any quantity of seaweed and have been using it as a mulch on the broad beans. Looks like there's lots of hard work ahead. I'll keep you all posted on progress.
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a 4" sewer pipe cut as many you need from the one length of pipe and copper tape can put around protruding edge to deter slugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: