Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Guerilla Fruit and Vegetable Growing

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MayGreen
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Guerilla Fruit and Vegetable Growing Reply with quote

In post Celtic Tiger Ireland I can only conclude that there is an excess of concrete and not enough trees or even vegetation of any form.

One rainy August afternoon, I was sitting in traffic in a 'no where town' in south east Ireland musing over a dissapointing bed of Geraniums, that certainly failed to reach its full potential. I wondered, why not strawberries; effective colourful,friutfull goundcover.

On the appropiate rootstock apples, pears, plums and even in more shelterd areas appricot, fig and peaches can be planted as street trees in urban areas. Hedges of blueberries that provide flowers in the spring, healthy sweet berries in late summer and fabulous autumn colour.

Thousands upon thousands of spring bulbs are purchased each year, by the county councils and parks departments across the country, only to be disposed of the same year after the flowering period has come to an end.

Current horticultural trends show a huge increase in the purchase of vegetable seeds, with people taking to growing their own even if only with a limited interest. I have found that many of our edible plants are rather beautiful. Chives, artichoke, cabbage, the humble carrot and the huge collection of herbs that can be discovered in garden centres across the land, are all very easy on eye. Must we contain these plants to a small section of formality within our gardens and why do we do so????

I have always been a passionate gardener and could not imagine not getting my hands dirty in the attempt of helping plants to grow...I have recently relocated from the sunny south east to the wilds of connermara ...
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you MayGreen. How about a bed full of flowering strawberries rather than the geraniums, at least we would have flower with fruit to follow. What steps are you taking in your own garden towards this end. Would love to get some ideas. Smile Do you have any inspirational photos to show to readers of this piece.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sentiments MayGreen but I fear with all the abuse street trees and municipal planting gets, it would be a very poor crop that these trees and plants would provide. The aftercare is the thing. But I am open to correction or informed opinion on this.
For further reading there was a thread about Guerilla gardening here a while back http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1403.html
anchoress

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thers is a fairly new garden centre near Donegal Town, much needed, and they have a display of rather pretty ornamental cabbages.

When I asked if they were edible? No. What is the point?

Old cottage gardens always mixed flowers and vegetables in their beds and the result can be so attractive.

Used to grow raggedy jack kale until we gave too many seeds away and that looks so grand in a flower bed.

Along with calendula and nasturiums. Chives and onions..

Not sure I would ever eat anything grown in town streets though... apart from traffic fumes.. dogs.. and other, shall we say less than acceptable habits...
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anchoress,

Ornamental cabbage and kale are edible but loose colour during cooking so are best in salads. Also you can get purple sprouts ,kale, cabbages ect . I have been thinking about Guerilla gardening in the country and as soon as I have enough spare plant stock I will be adding some additions to the hedgerow down the lanes so look out tulsk.
MayGreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments. I agree that there may be a poor crop with pollution being a concern and acts of vandalism being a real issue. But the planting of friuting plants could change mindsets.

In the city of Detroit, in the USA. There are emptyy lots being purchased at reasonable rates and tansformed into fruit and vegetable gardens, right in the heart of this industrial heartland.

Are planners need to be inspired and we all need to maintain faith that at least some of our efforts will survive the negetave effects of man.

I have always been a passionate gardener and could not imagine not getting my hands dirty in the attempt of helping plants to grow...I have recently relocated from the sunny south east to the wilds of connermara ...
MayGreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Formation of a Guirilla Group Reply with quote

Maybe there is scope to create a provincial or even national group. To improve areas that have been neglected and can provide hope. Urban or rural.

I have a qualification in amenity horticulture and have experience and I for one am very interested. If anyone is interested in forming a group in Galway, please let me know...

dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof gardens would avoid the carbon particulates and the heavy metalic particles from city traffic and industry. They'd also outwitt the vandles.
I think though, that the biggest problem is that commercial interests do not like anyone getting anything for free that they can make money out of. You have to remember that in some parts of the world people still get shot if they threaten agri-business interests. Though this kind of thing is going on half a world away, it is evidence of a deep and pervasive economic resistance to the idea free food. There are those who'd rather see lakes and mountains of food being thrown away than allow it to go to hungry people for free.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinah, you should read the end of food by paul roberts for an explanation of how the global food industry works.
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will. Always good to see how things work. Though the results are obviously gastly, it would be good to know why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: