Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Advice for planting a native hedge along a wooden fence?

Most Recent Posts Heritage Bill.
Last post: Sue Deacon
weeping willow tree
i THOUGHT A GHOST HAD TURNED UP
Free Carbons
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Marg
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Advice for planting a native hedge along a wooden fence? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would love some advice from experienced gardeners. Our estate has a river running through it. At the moment there is an open wooden fence running along the top of the banks. We would like to plant a hedge along the fence to hide it's uglyness(!) and also to try to prevent easy access to the river by small kids. We are thinking about whitethorn, but are there other options? Should we be going for evergreen plants?
Also would anyone have an idea of pricing for barerooted hedge plants like whitethorn and should we actually be going for bareroots?
A lot of questions I know but hopefully someone will have some advice. Thanks!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: fencing along a river Reply with quote

I would suggest finding a willow/osier/sally along the bank of that river, cutting slips of timber about as thick as your thumb and sticking them in the ground at about two foot intervals. Next summer cut the tips off all verticals and they will bulk out in the following twelve months. You can then choose a height you want and never let a vertical above it. Best of luck with the project whatever you may decide. Other water-loving trees are alder, alder buckthorn, poplars etc. but they don't take kindly to being made into hedges.

Why not put dog roses between the sallies for a cheap and quick option for thorns and bulking. You also get the lovely flowers followed by the hips in Autumn? Remember also that the river itself is an initial deterrent for trespassers. In three years you will have an impenetrable fence of willow and dogrose.

Otherwise take council from the many contributors to this website who will tell you (correctly as it happens) that five years is the MINIMUM time to establish a hedge of any sort. The above advice (because you have a ready made water source) will shorten the time in this particular case to three years.

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for planting a native hedge along a wooden fence? Reply with quote

[quote="Marg"] We would like to plant a hedge along the fence to hide it's uglyness(!) and also to try to prevent easy access to the river by small kids. [/quote]
Maybe consider stagger planting the hedge either side of the fence if space and adequate gaps in the fence laths allows.

[quote="Marg"] We are thinking about whitethorn, but are there other options? [/quote]
Thorns to prevent access to water, a good idea.
More options here..... Native Irish Shrubs suitable for a hedgerow.
and here.... Hedging plants in Ireland (size, spacing, flowers and fruit)
Taking your own willow slips and including some as mentioned by walltoall is another good idea..... Irish native willow trees, Goat, Grey, Bay and Eared willows

[quote="Marg"] Should we be going for evergreen plants? [/quote]
Might be worth including some to add body during winter.

[quote="Marg"] Also would anyone have an idea of pricing for barerooted hedge plants like whitethorn and should we actually be going for bareroots? [/quote]

I would go with bare-roots, economical, good range, and quite easy sow.
Here is a piece I wrote about them around this time last year....... Bare Root Hedging and the Wild / Mixed Hedgerow.
Advice on planting.... How to plant a hedge in Ireland.
Expect to pay 1 to 3 euro a plant, it all depends on the quantities you are buying.

Would love to see some pictures of your project as a reference for others if you get the chance.
Good luck.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies. At the moment we are fund raising to allow us to plant this hedge so we are still discussing exactly what we should do. The advice given has been very helpful and apologies for my slow response.
One thing that has arisen is that people are keen on something evergreen, so I'm wondering if it possible to plant native hedging that is evergreen or could we mix whitethorn and evergreen along the length of the fence or will that look strange?
If someone could advise me how to put up a few photos I'll be happy to do that. I made an attempt but haven't managed to figure out what to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: