Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Moon Vine

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lilith
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Moon Vine Reply with quote

My moon vine aka moonflower (imopoea alba)has just started to bloom. It's a vigorous climber, not fussy about soil, loves sun, and puts out the most incredible flowers in the evenings. They fall off the next day, but there are plenty to take their place each evening once they get going. Here in the Southern US, they start blooming in late July or early August and go through till the first good frost. We start them inside in March, and set them out when it's warm. They really take off growing once the days and nights are consistently warm and humid.

This is a photo of mine climbing up the porch which is about 5 ft. off the ground. You can't see it in the photo, but it has wrapped itself all the way around the top. On the railing are wild morning glories I let grow up, entwined with sweet peas. I love things that climb.

Here's a closeup of the flower. They are huge - about 6" across, and luminescent. They are billed as being fragrant, but I find the scent rather sharp. I'm partial to the sweet scents like roses and sweet peas and apple blossoms. Next year, I think I'll plant more and interplant them with cypress vines for the hummingbirds.

Sugar_Ape
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good read Lilith. So you are saying that the moonflower blooms in the evening? That's very interesting.
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see some pics Lilith Laughing small typo there its Ipomoea ( just in case anyone wants to look it up )
Cool Bugs

verge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Bugs.

Huge flowers Lilith. Very WHITE, they look like they would glow in the dark. I'd say things grow very quickly over there once you get a shower or two of rain.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Lilith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. good eye, Bugs.

The bloom in the late evening, right before dark, and yes, verge, they DO glow in the dark. It's eerie and beautiful.
verge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: moon vine, moon flower or Ipomoea alba info Reply with quote

I dug up some info on the moon vine, moon flower or Ipomoea alba.

This vine also known as the evening glory as its buds open in late afternoon and last only until morning's light transforms them into a limp shriveled mass.
As if the moonflower was not already enchanting enough, it also has a delightful fragrance to complement its beauty and perfume warm summer nights.

It grows in Zones 9 - 12, so it will grow everywhere in Ireland except the midlands, see the zone map here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132
Moonflower is a tender tropical perennial but its fast qrowth rate allows it to be enjoyed as an annual in cooler zones.
Except in its native habitat (Zones 10-12), use as an annual vine in summer.

Propagate by seed or by rooting runners from existing vines.
The flowers are followed by rough husks that are filled with seed which can be harvested when the covering turns dry and black.
Seeds are best nicked and soaked before starting, although a portion of them will germinate in any case.
Soil must be quite warm for germination to succeed, and getting a jump on the season by starting seed early indoors is usually only marginally successful and probably does not extend the season significantly.
Plant seed in well drained, fairly rich soil. Keep moist until germination occurs and then water as needed.

Likes moist but not soggy soil. Moonflower can survive brief dry spells.
Mushroom compost or any other composted organic matter enhances vigor.
Light: Full to part sun.
elamont
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! Those look great! I ran into your forum because I did a search on google for vines. We just bought our first home recently and I would love to have vines on the columns of our house. However, I've been told that some vines aren't safe for stucco. I was just hoping to find something that wouldn't damage our home and that would survive in hot weather. I live in South Texas. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you! Wink
Erin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: