Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

growing amaryllis/spider plants/cactus/cannas outside

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: ianpools

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
rathfuadagh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: growing amaryllis/spider plants/cactus/cannas outside Reply with quote

Hi

Has anyone managed to grow amaryllis,spider plants ,cactus,cannas outside and over winter them without killing them as I see them in displays and I am curious as I never had any problems with gladioli and dahlia I just left them outside and they grew year after year.
I also would like to know if algave can stay outside all year .
If I want to have a desert type garden are there any look alike plant that I could use and would I have to add sand/grit to the soil and how much.I am already planning a jungle type garden.
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have done some surfing and have found out that growing some so called house plants patio plants outside all year round is possible.

Amaryllis Hippeastrum plant with a layer of grit in the planting hole and it needs about 5 inches of mulch.(A lady in cork grew some in her garden)

Spider plant (see prudence post my jungle garden )but has fleshy roots like peruvian lily and they are fine outside .

Agave century plant has types which can stay outside.

Aloe some can survive down very low temps.

Cactus there are quite a few which can survive (Glenhirst cactus nursery sell hardy cactus)

Canna as hardy as dahlia.

So next time your plant is past it's house best you can bung it outside waste not want not.

Any more suggestions.
davidnugent
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can,i have agaves growing out side,you need to have them in the sunnest part of your garden in a raised bed mostly of gravil and very little soil,they need very little water,they can surive in gravil alone,but i would suggest to cover them in bad frosts,especialy if its raining that day and freezes that night..For cannas i have canna tropiccanna its in the ground all year and always comes back all these plants love full sun,my best suggestions are plant near a south faceing wall close to your house. :)If you want a look a like plant i would go for a yucca gloriosa variegata,very hardy and perfect for a desert garden.and dont forget a palm tree trachycarpus fortunei aka windmill palm,hardy to -20c perfect for irish gardens,or a cordyline australis in any colour.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: growing indoor plants outside Reply with quote

Rathfuadagh
There is no such thing as a "house plant". There are just plants that survive low temperatures and ones that can't. Some cacti for instance have to deal with daytime desert temperatures of 50C in the sun, night temperatures of -10C and a drop of rain two days a year or none at all when they rely on dew. Some plants like warmth and shade in their natural (rain-forest or jungle) environment. So they thrive in heated houses on reduced light. As long as they get plenty warm moisture, eg bathrooms. A huge point about 'indoor' plants is their ability to absorb dangerous chemicals exuded by modern furniture and if properly watered their ability to adjust the humidity of a room. We have lots of IKEA in our house (the shop is two miles from the house) and an awful lot of absorbent plants to soak up the poisons that exude from such furniture. I applaud your trials with moving the plants outdoors when they get a bit gross. Think of their origins as you move them. Often you can find a shady warm area associated with south facing pergolas draped with vines and climbers. Or you can build such ideas into your long-term plans. Best of luck with all the trials and the research.

Last edited by walltoall on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Davidnugent and Walltoall,

My amaryllis hippeastrum is sprouting outside and I will be growing canna's,spider plants,yucca and I have an aloe so finger's crossed.
davidnugent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prob,just use your microclimates in your garden,The part that gets sun all year and traps the heat.those plants love it.best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: