Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Can anyone identify this plant please?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Juliane
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Can anyone identify this plant please? Reply with quote

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Your Profile gives nothing away Reply with quote

Juliane
Give us a hint. What country or county is the plant growing in? I have a dark green version of that in my garden in Essex!

Juliane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

I figured, as the website is "Irish Gardeners".... The plant is growing in my garden in Dublin. could be from a pack of unnamed "summer flower seeds", but could be something entirely different.
Juliane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also, it might turn dark green later on. Its only been growing for a few weeks... Anyb idea?
walltoall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Identification of plant Reply with quote

Can't identify it then, Juliane. Mine is a field plant (weed) which I never saw in Ireland but is relatively common here in Essex. (This is rape-seed country). Mine gives a lilac-coloured flower around June but I've never bothered to identify it. I generally dig most of them out before they get as big as yours, but now and again let a single specimen go. I'll be watching your enquiry though. There are subscribers here from all over the world although most of the regulars ARE in Ireland. Go n-eirí an t-adh leat SW
Juliane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can very well be weed, walltoall, I just thought it looked very nice and wanted to see what it is going to grow into. I tend to leave weeds as long as they flower nicely and are not taking over...But thanks anyway.
walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: That interesting plant Reply with quote

I agree totally with you. That plant has interesting foliage and looks like a perennial or biennial in form. It is definitely worth keeping on the chance that it will develop next year. I suggest organising protection against frost over this Winter, maybe gauze? It does not have the structural 'hardness' of the plants I have. Hang in there for a while. Someone of this forum will eventually identify it. I have already put out feelers among botanist friends and may get an answer to share with you.
Irish Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: My answer is Balsam Reply with quote

Hi Juliane,

I believe that your unnamed plants are Impatiens balsamina or Garden Balsam .

These beauties are native to the subtropical climates of Brazil, Haiti, Phillipines, Hawaii & China. They are tender annuals who have made their way to colder parts of the world (Canada, USA, etc) and appeared in many of our Victorian and English style gardens.

Unlike standard impatiens (Impatiens walleriana, a.k.a. Impatiens sultani) in both growth habit and flower appearance, the Garden balsam grows quite tall and sprouts only one main stem, rather than being short & bushy. Tiny rose-like blooms amass on the camellia-flowered variety while the single-flowered types resemble large snapdragons.

Visitors to these flowers include butterflies, bees, hummingbirds and other nectar-feeding birds.

If you have not already seen most of what I've mentioned by now, I hope you do next year and keep growing these fabulous plants forever in your garden.

More information for you here: www.plantoftheweek.org/week337.shtml.

Take care and keep growing,
Irish Rose

Juliane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My answer is Balsam Reply with quote

Wow, Irish Rose, what a detailed and most informative answer. I certainly hope, they are coming back next year - both just disintegrated in late october without having blossomed. Thanks very much and I'll let you know if they are coming back and what happens. Oh, and happy xmas
Juliane
walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the lead, Irish Rose Reply with quote

I knew someone would put me on the right track! Mine is a cultivar of Impatiens Himalayan and due to your lead I got on the right track. it IS a weed here in Essex and very aggressive. The seeds seem to be able to propagate some other way apart from being fired by the plant. I have never allowed to let mine flower in the garden or around the house, but they keep coming back anyway. Using your lead I now know that it grows freely on the banks of a nearby river where yes it is very nice. Apparently it is an annual whereas I thought it was perennial.

Julianes similar model does not look as aggressive but if hers has not flowered it may not have planted seeds for next year.

Irish Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My answer is Balsam Reply with quote

Juliane wrote:
Wow, Irish Rose, what a detailed and most informative answer. I certainly hope, they are coming back next year - both just disintegrated in late october without having blossomed. Thanks very much and I'll let you know if they are coming back and what happens. Oh, and happy xmas
Juliane

Just glad to help when I can, Juliane! It just happens that a client of mine had Balsam in her garden last year and your photo was so clear that I knew that I knew what it was.
I hope your Christmas and New Year is blessed as well!

Irish Rose

Irish Rose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the lead, Irish Rose Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
I knew someone would put me on the right track! Mine is a cultivar of Impatiens Himalayan and due to your lead I got on the right track. it IS a weed here in Essex and very aggressive. The seeds seem to be able to propagate some other way apart from being fired by the plant. I have never allowed to let mine flower in the garden or around the house, but they keep coming back anyway. Using your lead I now know that it grows freely on the banks of a nearby river where yes it is very nice. Apparently it is an annual whereas I thought it was perennial.

Julianes similar model does not look as aggressive but if hers has not flowered it may not have planted seeds for next year.

Hi Walltall,
As you will see when you read my post to Juliane, this one didn't take alot of work.

My client has them come back year after year (from seed) and tugs out those she doesn't want (adds them to her compost heap) while letting the others remain where she'd like them to grow on ... works well for her!

As you indicated Impatiens Himalayan does have a tendency to be aggressive and even invasive, but what a stunning plant it is.

Have you noticed one of its cousins, Impatiens capensis aka orange balsam, in your area? It also is fond of growing beside canals and some rivers (especially streams and other rivers whose levels do not fluctuate much in times of heavy rainfall). This one is not invasive, but truly a head turner. I understand that this annual is an import from North America so if you find it and like it you might tip your hat and say "Thanks" to the continent that I presently call home! Biopix has some great photos of Impatiens capensis: www.biopix.com/Species.asp?Searchtext=Impatiens%20capensis&Category=Planter.

Irish Rose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: