Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Seed and Plant Swapping over the Ocean

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lilith
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Seed and Plant Swapping over the Ocean Reply with quote

I wonder is there some way we could exchange plants and seeds between Ireland and the US. Lots of things travel very well, and it doesn't take any time for things to travel back and forth.

It's easy to tuck all kinds of things into a wee package or envelope.

I'm sure there are things growing here that would do well in Ireland, and things that have some resistence to Winter would do well here.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilith, I forsee no major problems with swapping seeds between the US and Ireland etc.
Over the coming week I will post a list of rules and tips regarding this practise on IG (Irish Gardeners).

However I see problems with swapping live plants between the US and Ireland.
Strict international laws govern the shipping of live plant materials both in and out of the U.S.
Boxes of plants may be held up for inspection, and may or may not make it to their destination.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Lilith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it would be a little trickier with plants than seeds.

There are some lovely wild flowers that grow here that I think would do very well in Ireland. They may already grow there, but I'll post some pics of the ones in bloom now, and will be happy to send seed if anyone wants some.
Gardensgalore
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Seed swap Reply with quote

Hi Lilith,
just joined the forum and found your entry. I'm really interested in seed swaps, but its a little early in the season. If you want to know what grows around here, I suggest that you have a look at my neighbour, Jenny's, site... wildflowersireland.ie. I'll try to get hold of anything that interests you.
Where are you in the US? and what grows wild there?
Hope to hear from you.
Best Regards
Richard

JennyS
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lilith
- quick correction on wild flower website address, its www.irishwildflowers.ie

Definitely there would be restrictions on actual plants coming into Ireland (as opposed to seeds) to reduce the chances of introducing bugs, beasties and plant and soil infections that haven't got here yet.

If you're interested in seed theres a crowd up in Galway selling Irish grown wildflower seeds, website address www.wildflowers.ie
They might be of interest to you, and also to anyone here interested in planting a wildflower meadow or anything along those lines.

Looking forward to seeing your photos ......

Tessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined the forum and think the idea of swapping seeds would be wonderful. I'll definitely check out the sites you mentioned. The really nice wildflowers are just starting to bloom here (Southern US), and I'll put up some pictures when they do in case anyone would like some seed.

I've collected and planted lots of their seed here, and they do well, with a good germination rate.

Sending plants, even in the US, is quite a chore for growers. Each state has its own regulations and there are all these inspections, and really just a pain. I would imagine that trying to ship plants overseas would be even worse, so probably safer to stick with seeds.
Gardensgalore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just come across this site, which makes clear that US citizens can import small quantities of seed without a phytosanitary certificate. They do, however, require a FREE permit.

Check out this page www.aphis.usda.gov/imp...seed.shtml

Looks like good news to me.

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of any restrictions on carrying live plants to france?
a friend who now lives there would love some rhubarb, which she says is hard to come by, and was wondering if there'd be any restrictions on her bringing back a few crowns on the plane?
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rough rule is that as long as long as you are travelling within the EU, you are carrying the plants for your own personal use, and that you believe them to be healthy (disease/pest free), then you will be allowed pass. But just to be sure and to have something to say if stopped, I would check with the countries local plant/agriculture authority to clarify your case.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel, it would be worth your while to contact this Dept.....

Sous-direction de la protection des végétaux
Service de la qualité alimentaire et des actions vétérinaires et phytosanitaires
Direction générale de l'alimentation
Ministère de l'agriculture et de la pêche
175, rue du Chevaleret
75646 Paris Cédex 13
France
tel: 011-331.49.55.81.53
fax: 011-331.49.55.51.06

An online translation converted it to this....

Subdirectorate of the protection of the plants Service of food quality and the actions veterinary surgeons and plant health general Direction of the food Ministry for agriculture and fishing 175, street of Chevaleret 75646 Paris Cédex 13 France such: 011-331.49.55.81.53 faxes: 011-331.49.55.51.06

Rhubarb is usually Rheum x hybridum if you are asked for the Latin.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, have passed the info on.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a good idea,what sort of seeds are you looking for lilith,i`d love to try some seeds,
anchoress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this idea ever take off please? Or within Ireland even?

We gave so many of our Sweet Rocket seeds away that we are facing a new garden without it which is unthinkable....drifts of it here would be a wonder.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual I'm finding oldish posts due to my lack of being here for a while.

I regularly ship plants overseas and import plants from Asia.
Laws are strictly governed, not by the individual countries concerned, but also by the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Most often seeds aren't a problem, but some countries do have some restrictions, a phone call to your local Embassy for that country will let you know if what seeds you are sending are OK. Plants require a Phytosanitary Certificate which entails a visit to your Garden/greenhouse by the Agriculture dept to ensure you don't have pests diseases, not only in what you are sending, but in everythying else. In Ireland this service is provided free (The only country in the World to do so), next you have to apply for an Export Certificate, This is also free (again, Ireland is the only Country to provide it free). You also require A CITES Certificate, this is now the exporters responsibility and no longer the responsibility of the importer. It is the exporters responsibility to find out and state to which CITES appendix (I, II, III) that the particular plant belongs, with appendix I being endangered or nearly extinct. All plants have to be nursery raised by artificial propagation tequniques, this also covers division, If plants are taken from the wild, by licence, they have to be grown by the individual for a minimum of two years before being offered for sale or gift. Very few countries allow the import of appendix I plants in anycase, unless they are being imported in-vitro. Appendix I plants can be imported by any country for scientific study, ie describing or holding stock for conservation, in an establishment such as a Botanic Garden or in the case of animals, a Zoological park, however they should be in flower at the time of import/export to aid ID. Seed of Appendix I plants would be covered by the same laws, but it is more likely that you might get a licence for some. A CITES licence takes around 4 to 6 weeks to get and a licence has to be applied for for each species. The US, the last time I checked refuses the import of Appendix I plants and in particular slipper orchids, either exotic or native. No plant can be imported/exported if taken from the wild. In the US, the Importer has to apply for an import licence and a yellow label, this addresses the plants to Customs and Agri who inspect for disease/pests then examine the plant to ensure it's properly Appendixed, believe me, they are good at it. Once inspected and import and tax is paid by the recipient, the plants are sent on to them. All plants must travel with CITES Cert, Export Cert, Phytosanitary Cert and Import Cert and an invoice, claiming 'gift' is no good, they will put a value on. All plants must have their roots thoroughly cleaned of all compost for inspection before export and at the point of import, they cannot travel with compost. Wrapping the roots in clean, slightly damp Sphagnum moss is permissable.
Never ever try and hide a plant in a package to avoid the hassle. I believe the sentence in the US is two years imprisonment and sentences are very high in all other countries.
India was once banned by CITES from exporting plants because they wouldn't ensure nurseries had followed rules. I believe that was in the late 70's, I don't think that ban has been lifted yet, but I haven't checked for a couple of years.
These laws are there for several reasons. It helps prevent what has happened with that terrible scourge, Japanese Knotweed, it also prevents the import of diseases that our native plants have no mechanism for fighting and more importantly, it assists in slowing down the rate of plants becoming extinct.
So, in a nutshell, stick to swapping seeds, it's less hassle, but check before hand if the seeds are ok to send.
Plants may be sent freely between member countries of the EU, but don't forget to check that they are actually members as you will need to abide by CITES etc.

This is a brief summary of plant import/export laws. CITES changes regularly, it is your responsibility to check the law. This has not been written to allow you to export plants and I cannot and will not be held responsible for any mistakes. If you wish to import/export Flora and Fauna, check with your Agriculture Department on what to do.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Rodney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really a great idea to exchange seeds and plants between Irish and US. But in order to legally accomplish it there would be definitely some rules and regulations that i am not aware about so much. But i think seed swapping is not so restricted as plant swapping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: