Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Newbie needs advice on pruning young native hedgerow?

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
gg66
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Newbie needs advice on pruning young native hedgerow? Reply with quote

Hi,

I planted a native hedgerow last November and it's come along quite well during the year. It's about 100m long and consists of the following:

whitethorn
gelder rose
alder
red dogwood
cherry blossom
hazel
willow

I can't recall right now but there are some other native trees in there also. I would like it to grow as naturally as possible and I'm not concerned about having the neatest hedge on the street (it's a rural location).

What's the best way to prune the above or otherwise to help it along.

This is my first hedge and people on here seem to know what they're talking about so many thanks in advance
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds lovely,love to see a picture
gg66

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
it sounds lovely,love to see a picture

Hi, I don't have any pictures... it's really young yet.. give it another year and I'd say it would be worth taking photos
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want to have it grow as naturally as possible you should leave it unpruned. But I presume you want a thick healthy hedge with a natural look. To get this you should trim back all new growth of the plants you mentioned by about half. this will cause them to produce more shoots all over but more importantly ones lower down. This will give you a thick stock proof hedge, very rural Wink .
A mulch of compost or rotted farm manure in spring will have the double benifit of slowly feeding the hedge and keeping some weeds down.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
gg66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a thick healthy hedge is what I'm looking for..

Should I trim back all new branch growth or just the height?

and is there any need to treat each plants differently or will the same pruning do for each?

thanks
BlackBird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gg66 wrote:

Should I trim back all new branch growth or just the height?

thanks

Sides and top, for this winter and next. After that you can let the hedge grow upwards to the height you desire, just tidying up the sides each autumn or winter.

gg66 wrote:

and is there any need to treat each plants differently or will the same pruning do for each?thanks

Looks good for everything you have listed.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
gg66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, thanks for the advice ...

Now all I need is the rain to stop
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: pruning a mixed hedge Reply with quote

Most alders naturally form multi-stemmed trees and may not take kindly to being topped. Usually one tries to train them into growiing like a standard tree. Prune and train in autumn by selecting a suitable leader and then removing lower branches gradually as the tree develops up to a height of about 2m. Thereafter, little routine pruning is required other than the removal of crossing or damaged branches. All pruning should be carried out after leaf fall.

Guelder rose is a viburnum. The rule of thumb is if it blooms in spring, prune within 2 weeks of the finish of bloom. If it blooms in summer or fall, prune in late winter - February. If you prune it by clipping you will be sacrificing blooms for next spring.

Red dogwood is best in winter when the red branches give a great show. The younger the branche the redder it is and red dogwood is usually dealt with by cutting out the strongest highest branches to force more growth from the bottom.

As for the willows, top them at about four feet. They are dedicated to growing. The hawthorn is the only one from your list that can be clipped into an impenetrable hedge. You could also let it grow to about eight feet and layer it. We do this is Essex to make really permanent hedges to last decades.

Best of luck anyway. Nice to have you in the forum. Tell others about the site. I hope the rain stops! Right now Sat pm the sky is cloudless and the air temp is 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: