Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

fruit,rasberry,gooseberry,blackcurrent

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: fruit,rasberry,gooseberry,blackcurrent Reply with quote

i have just purchased in lidl`s 9 of each of the above,i am just getting them planted in the ground,the place where their going is damp mostly,i have planted a gunera and about to plant 2 willows ,is it ok for the bushes and will the willows and gunera drain out some of the water,all is fairly wet round me so no other options in the back garden,i thought if i planted them about 3 foot apart they would deal with the wet ground themselves? Rolling Eyes
if not i will replant them in the front but really dont want them there,i also have planted 3 apple tree`s and about to get more for the back to the side of where the fruit bushes are going,have i made a mistake in buying them? Confused
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend planting the fruit bushes into the wet soil sal. The will not thrive in it, and not thriving means poor fruit. You can still plant them in the back but plant them into mounded soil or raised beds to bring them higher than the high water table you have.
As a side note the willows and gunnera will cope with wet soil, but I would not expect them to drain much water away.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
sal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,the raised beds can be done so thats good,i have just purchased 8 more fruit tree`s from lidls,they were only 5.49,i really must stop going in there! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: