Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

A little tip on taking cuttings

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Prudence
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: A little tip on taking cuttings Reply with quote

Just thought I'd pass on this tip I was given.

You need 2 pots, one slightly smaller than the other. Place the smaller one inside the larger one and put the soil into the gap between the two pots. Place cuttings in that soil. Don't put anything in the smaller pot. After a while you can lift the smaller pot out to see if there are any roots on the cuttings. If not, place it back and wait a while longer.

I find this saves on potting soil and avoids gently 'tugging' on the cutting Smile

Sue
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue, that sounds like an intriguing idea, and I'm going to try it as I am useless with cuttings (except the very easy ones)...I just don't seem to have the knack...or the green fingers!
Should I put a plastic bag over the pot?
Prudence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive. Some people do put the plastic bag over the top to keep in the humidity and moisture which is lost through the leaves. Do you cut the leaves on your cuttings? I usually take all the bottom leaves off and cut the leaves on the top in half to reduce the moisture loss.

Personally, I don't use the plastic bag. This time of year there is plenty of moisture in the air if leaving them in a shady spot outside. I have rooted loads of stuff in the last couple of weeks this way.

I had some cuttings sent over from England in the summer and they are all rooted without a baggie. Just kept them out of the wind in a shady spot. Obviously some cuttings are easier than others, but spring and autumn is a good time to do them.

All the best.

Sue
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds a good idea,will try this as i have various cuttings in water around ready to pot up, and plenty of plantpots from my trips to the garden centre recently,
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,
It is years since I took cuttings, firstly because my last garden was too small to take the extra plants and secondly because I have had terribly poor results in the past and so decided i was just "no good" at doing it!
I occasionally "layer" plants and that works well, but that can be a slow process.
I will definitely try your method.
I watch Carol Klein on the BBC and she makes taking cuttings look like child's play, so maybe it is now time for me to try again! And I'll take any advice I can get!
Thanks a lot.
dig_deep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, one other tip is that if you're going to use a plastic bag over the cuttings make a frame from pipe cleaners or sandwich bag tags twisted together over the pot so the bag doesn't touch the cuttings. The tags that hold childrens toys in place are ideal, especially the long ones.
sal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually now have lots of cuttings done since oct last,the only difference was i put a glass jar instead of another pot,so i can see if the cuttings have rooted without moving the jar,one i put the lid back on in case the light ruined them,so will see if it made a difference come spring time
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
actually now have lots of cuttings done since oct last,the only difference was i put a glass jar instead of another pot,so i can see if the cuttings have rooted without moving the jar,one i put the lid back on in case the light ruined them,so will see if it made a difference come spring time

What did you take cuttings of Sal, any photos of your setup? Does it work with most cuttings or just the ones that root easy like the ones that root in water?
Coillte√Čire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of brainy ideas flyin around here, i'm giving that a go, so thanks for the info Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: