Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

The Courtyard / Wildlife Garden

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: The Courtyard / Wildlife Garden Reply with quote

This the garden I was working in today , it may not look it but for various reasons its my favourite .
When I go to someones garden to design there is a quiet interview process going on . What I try to find out is what that persons likes and dislikes are.
The lady that owns this garden (she is retired )likes to have a cup of coffee outside in the mornings doing her crossword , she likes all kinds of wildlife , she has a large extended family and entertains a lot , she babysits her grandchildren ,
and likes to sit out in the evening with friends with a glass of wine and she likes her privacy.

This is a regular suburban garden in Dublin about 30 x 70 feet , there was a broken down glasshouse in the middle and the brick patio was already there .Although the patio was crudely laid I recognised that it had a real charm about it .

I repaired the glasshouse and put in an archway to devide the garden . Next was the raised circular patio outside the glasshouse door . I put in a new floor in the glasshouse and planted the edges with pelergoniums

the back part of the garden is the wildlife area which is planted with Birch , Rasberries Apple , pear , Thornless blackberries ,Mallow . None of the fruit is collected , its all left for the birds and wildlife . Its underplanted with native Irish wild flowers

[

The garden is now 5 years old and requires 2 visits per year of 3 hours maintenance and this is the only maintenance it requires

Cool Bugs

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: The Courtyard / Wildlife Garden Reply with quote

Great stuff there Bugs.
You are building up quite a portfolio of interesting projects there.
These pics will help showcase how gardeners find decorative and constructive ways to work within the garden.
At some stage we may compile them into one thread showcasing your work .
We could call it "bugs bites". Very Happy

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
verge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: The Courtyard / Wildlife Garden Reply with quote

Plenty of character in that garden Bugs. I really like the Geraniums edging the pathway within the glasshouse. What is the story behind the stump in the second last pic.
Lilith
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the sort of controlled wildness. I can't believe it only requires that little bit of maintenance. It must have a long history of good weed control behind it. If I had something like that here it would be all over the place in no time. Or is it the choice of plantings?
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments ,
Lilith , GPI always signs off with " a weed is just a plant in the wrong place " and that is the philosophy in this garden , there is no need for weed control as there is no such thing as a weed Very Happy . I usually do a cleanup in April and always bring a couple of packets of wildflower seeds with me to sow . Nature takes care of the rest .
Verge, the stump has been left to rot away naturally . her grandchildren love creepy crawlies Laughing
GPI , you understand about garden design , it requires an intelligence far greater than rocket science Laughing Laughing
Cool Bugs

Lilith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reminder, Bugs, and is getting me to change some of my thinking about plans I had for my place. I think I was about to paint myself into a gardening corner that would mean more maintenance than I want to do. So...I'm now looking at that mass of tall lamb's quarters as tall ground cover holding the bank it's growing on, and making a natural screen. A few other shifts, too. Thanks for that.
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilith ,Any pictures of the garden , maybe we can come up with some suggestions for you . Always ready to help .
Cool Bugs

Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a huge area, Bugs. Several acres that were overgrown pasture, of which a total of about 3 was cleared for the house, septic lines, etc. All of the huge plants, like poke, lamb's quarter and such, have come back even thicker than before since the bulldozing very neatly spread all the seed around. Some areas are covered with morning glories of all colours (which I rather like) growing along the ground. There's a section with old apple trees and a huge chestnut tree where I've been eyeing a shade garden.

The immediate area around the house is clear of trees, bushes, etc. but the site is bordered by forest on the back and one side about 50 ft. away from the house.

I'll see if I can get enough pictures to give you an idea of the spaces. I've been mentally making spaces or areas for planting because trying to think too much of the whole thing is just overwhelming. I figure if I can focus on one or two small bits at a time, I can keep from going crazy.

My goal is to have it all be as low maintenance as possible, with perennial and self-seeding annual flowers, a windbreak on the NW side, and as little area as possible that has to be mowed.
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilith said
I'll see if I can get enough pictures to give you an idea of the spaces. I've been mentally making spaces or areas for planting because trying to think too much of the whole thing is just overwhelming. I figure if I can focus on one or two small bits at a time, I can keep from going crazy.
Laughing Never fear Bugs is here Laughing

it sounds like you have a site with great potential , if you can gets pics it would be good . A good place to start is on the boundaries and the windbreak . Its usually a safe bet to plant species native to your area , as thety are more resistant to drought etc and the birds love em .
Old apple trees and a huge chestnut , sure we are half way there . Wink

Talk to you later
Cool Bugs

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: New thread Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Old apple trees and a huge chestnut , sure we are half way there . Wink

Cool Bugs

Good man bugs, the spin doctor gardener. Very Happy

Lilith, I hope you don't mind, I have given your garden its own thread........ http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=636#636

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Lilith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so sweet of you. And I, for sure, didn't mean to launch into something that would hijack this thread.

Bugs is a grand spin doctor. And, you know, it's that little spot with the trees that holds my attention when I'm on the verge of pulling out all my hair at the thought of this task.

no more about this here.....there I go. About to go off again. LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: