Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi from west coast of clare

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Susan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Hi from west coast of clare Reply with quote

Hi

Just moved from kildare to the west coast - I know nothing about gardening in this area. Living one mile from the coast and have a 1/2 acre blank canvas garden. I know i need to go native, but i dont even know the names of the native plants. Help please before i start sneaking around at night to cut some shoots from the distant neighbours garden!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome susan, how lucky you are to have the Atlantic on your doorstep. although we live not far from the sea here in north wexford, the Irish Sea really is not as wild and exciting as the mighty Atlantic.
As for gardening.....take lots of walks and see what is growing well for other people in Co Clare.......and don't be afraid to ask for names and cuttings...gardeners are generally very welcoming people.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, from a kerry blow in,you have to get a dog if you dont already have one,and take a small pair of sissors when you walk him,not that you`d take cuttings as you go ,no just to cut your nails if they chip ,
Prudence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Susan.

Sue
Breezly

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan,
I'm from west Clare but living/gardening in Cavan. Your proximity to the coast will have a big affect on any trees you might want to grow so check local garden centres for advice before you buy. Hedges might need a shelter as the west wind can leave them bare. Keep an eye out for early potatoes called Leaguers which are popular in west Clare but still hard to find. As far as I know they are not available commercially.
TryMyBest

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Susan,
Welcome. I'm living in East Clare (born & bred). I love the west side of the county. You should start calling to local gardening centers and asking them what is suitable for the area. Or as Sive says take lots of walks and see what is in other peoples gardens.

I think Cordylines grow well in costal areas. They were recommended to me as I have loads and loads of sand in my garden. I love them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: