Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland

advice on pruning a rose arch

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
elphin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: advice on pruning a rose arch Reply with quote

Hello
My pride and joy in my garden is a rose arch which this year became completely covered with roses. I grew a pink climber on one side and a Lidl purchased rose on the other side. The Lidl rose only put out leaves last year but this year produced the most amazing perfumed almost blue small clusters of roses. The two have now met at the top of the arch. I have them well tied in but should I be trimming them back now. I tie them in regularly and don't let them get scraggy but not sure what to do now. Also the structure is threatening to blow down but my partner is going to do something to strengthen it. I have now put in two other arches behind this one and am growing different roses and honeysuckle along them.
I would be devestated if it all blew down which in windy Roscommon is quite possible.
Any tips on pruning. I would post a photo if it was not so difficult to do!!!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know little about roses, but i remember a tv gardener once advising caution about planting roses on arches, because of the danger of the thorns scratching your eyes/face as you walk through the arch. i thought it was a sensible warning. but you sound as if you're keeping the growth well tied in.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no advice but i`m delighted your rose has taken off like that,dh just put up an arch we got from lidls,i bought 2, but when we opened the box it was white,the other one is green,i just didnt think to look when i bought them,we bought 2 passionflowers there too,the passionflower has taken off really well too,and ive just bought 2 pampas grasses from lidls,
have you any pics of the roses?
verge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
ive just bought 2 pampas grasses from lidls,
have you any pics of the roses?

Were they the coloured pampas that I saw advertised sal, what are they like?

elphin, autumn and winter is a good time for pruning back your archway roses. The sooner the better as winds are surely on the way and I fear for your arch. for good flowing next year all the sideshoots which flowered can be pruned back by two-thirds of their length leaving eyes to produce flowering shoots next year. If any growth is dead, diseased or crossing or rubbing, cut those out as well. If you have more than three main upright stems you can also cut back one or two to a lower fresh shoot. You can tie this in to fill the gap when it starts to sprout more in spring.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
elphin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that advice. I keep it well tied in . I had a go at tidying it up the other day and it looks okay. Have to strengthen it though before the winds come. Those rose arches from Lidl, B&Q etc. are not really strong enough to hold the weight of climbing roses. We intend to strengthen it with a wooden support somehow.
On the subject of Pampas grasses I bought some last year in Lidl but they disappeared, were very soft I thought. I got some cuttings from a friend and they are doing very well, no flowers yet but they are probably not big enough.

appreciate the help.
sal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,i got 2 small ones ,they look pretty fragile noe that there out of the packet,have just got another from the garden centre,5 euro`s and about 6 ft tall,much stronger,went looking fro pheasent berry,got 2 of those all they had!so i now am going to use them in my front garden and have bought 25 evergreen bushes with white flowers,but the pheasent berry is strong and will be a good background plant ,
elphin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of luck with them. I have bought lots of stuff in Lidl, Aldi etc. Most of it has been okay and some of it great. I just get in early to get the best. I also buy from a guy in Strokestown who sells wonderful perennial plants, very strong and great selection. He is there Fridays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Roses in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: