Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Advice please for my Cabbage Tree

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ace
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Advice please for my Cabbage Tree Reply with quote

I have got a cabbage tree, which has suffered due to the bad summer, and I would be grateful for some advice.

The tree is about 8ft tall and I recently noticed it leaning to one side. The soil is very soft around it and I we had little trouble pushing it back into an upright position before securing it in place. The problem is that where the trunk was touching the damp ground it is showing signs of rot and now the tree has been pushed upright there is an exposed section at the bottom.

Can anyone advise me the best way to tackle this? As a temporary measure we have fitted a spiral coil that is normally used to protect a trunk from a strimmer or animal attack, and have backfilled but I am wondering if we should treat the trunk first and if so what with. Can anyone advise me?

While we were securing the tree we noticed a shoot coming from the bottom of the trunk. Is this a sign that generally it is doing OK.

Thanks.
Prudence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ace

Are you talking about Cordyline (spikey leaves)? I can't really give you an answer regarding rot, only that, if it had been left with that part of the trunk on the ground, it would probably have formed roots from it. When these plants are damaged they send up new shoots from the base (survival tactic).

Sue
ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming back to me. Yes it is a Cordyline and I think the new shoots I referred to may well be what you describe as its survival tactic.
I would be upset to lose it but now we have got it into an upright position and it is showing signs of new growth it is a matter of keeping our fingers crossed.
Thanks again for your comments.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace your cabbage tree or cordyline can rot at the base of their stems if growing in soil that remains wet. And what soil didnt this summer. The cordyline usually topples over but it can produce a shoot lower down as yours has.
with the windy season coming I wold not hold out much hope for a propped up tree. I would cut the trunk down to just above the new shoot. and mound some gritty soil atop the area where the roots were exposed. Try to dig in lots of grit and gravel around the base of the plant to improve drainage and prevent future rotting.
ace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I think you may be right and there may not be much hope for the main tree. Certainly it is the only area in the garden that seems to remain wet, the rest of it being very free draining. I will certainly take your advice about the grit.
Thanks.
davidnugent
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your cordyline can be cut back it will send up multy heads from where you cut it.my advise is to cut it at chest hight,straighten it up,and in a few months you will have new shouts coming out from the sides,it will give your cordyline a very tropical look in a few years. :)you can even cut it to the ground and it will come back again. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: