Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point

ARE YOU OBSESSED WITH THE GARDEN?

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: ARE YOU OBSESSED WITH THE GARDEN? Reply with quote

I've compiled a list about how to notice that the garden is taking up too much of our thoughts. I suppose you could say it is all about obsessive, compulsive behaviour. Now I'm not saying that I do all these things of course, but I must admit to doing a few of them in my time as a gardener. If you do any little things with your garden that I haven't mentioned, do let us know about them......

You know your garden is taking over your life when:

You stay up until three o'clock in the morning browsing through your collection of gardening books and catalogues.

You have photos of your garden alongside photos of your children on your desk at work.

You wash your trowel in the dishwasher.

You go to the garden centre instead of the pub for an active social life.

You give individual names to your prized pansies.

The thought of receiving 8 tonnes of soil on your birthday thrills you.

You have a personal vendetta with the next-door neighbours cat.

You have a garden sitter when you go on holiday.

You just daren't go on holiday and leave the garden.

You keep writing to Alan Titmarsh asking him around for tea on the lawn.

All your family and friends send you birthday cards with flowers on them.

You are lusting over your neighbour's pile of manure.

You are on your hands and knees weeding in torrential rain.

Every meal that you prepare contains courgettes.

You send nasty letters to the winner of the Tidy Towns "Best Gardens" competition.

You have empty seed packets by the side of the toilet for a bit of light reading.

On bad hair days you get out the pruners.

You try to take your garden with you when you move house. (These are the same people that will take the light bulbs from the house too).

You fill your pockets with ill-gotten cuttings when you visit garden shows and centres.

You take up writing a gardening column in the local newspaper!

How did you score?

1-5. No problems for you. All is well in the garden of heaven.

6-10. You're in the borderland of what is accepted as normal behaviour, be on your guard.

11-20 You're in too deep, there's no hope... you have left the planet. All that you can do now is build yourself a small shed at the bottom of the garden and wait for Alan Titmarsh to come knocking...

Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored 6! I am still just borderline, not saying which ones, but I also got a few ideas I had not even thought about! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5,but where will it end? i now go food shopping and end up with plants as well,yesterday went to lidl`s(bad move)for milk and came back with 2 bushes,today went looking for plastic containers for the kids lunches and have now got 2 packs of iris`s and another pack of aliums,didnt even check to see if the alliums will grow in my garden,yet my garden still looks like a jungle,but its in the planning stage i tell myself as we plant more and more tree`s bushes etc,i`m going to the uk for a week, heaven knows what plants will come back with me that catches my eye,
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: You just daren't go on holiday and leave the garden. Reply with quote

I'm a bit worrit. Technically I scored a one. I missed holidays this year in a (successful) bid to stop the starlings getting my grapes for the third year in a row. Score? ME: 15 bunches BIRDS: nil In a separate game in the same tournament Me: £500 NatWest: 0
katana
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: This is good fun but true Reply with quote

I scored 5 --phew just got away with it. Smile
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEW------I scored 9,but several other Questions verged on 50/50,HELP has anyone got Alans Phone No.
mountainy man
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 ! is a bit mad isn't it , when i moved house brought two trailer loads and a pickup full of plants it was a mobile show garden even arranged plants in trailer so it would look good and i was only going ten miles down the road, no hope for me i think Embarassed didnt bring light bulbs only daffs and snowdrops and tulips and lilliesand............. ek!
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
11 ! is a bit mad isn't it , when i moved house brought two trailer loads and a pickup full of plants it was a mobile show garden even arranged plants in trailer so it would look good

Sounds like this mountainy man......... Very Happy

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would 2 Trailer Loads=1 Truck Load,guilty as charged,only problem was Knuckle-Brains here forgot to take into account the Climate change and lost up to 50% of the Plants within Months of planting them,but being the cute Hoooore that I am I high-tailed it back to Dublin with Trailer in Tow and straight to BnQ in Tallaght and their "For quick Sale" section in the Garden area,30mins later after selecting the most pathetic/dying/ragged looking Plants I could find and amid the Stares and Giggles of other Customers loaded up the Trailer and Car-Boot,I estimate that I got about 150E worth of Plants for 25E.
Back Home I gave each Plant a Lora-Lora {Cilla Black} TLC for a few Weeks,they repaid my Faith in them ,everyone of them are now Blooming from Roses to Climbers to Perennials
The Moral here is"One Mans Dirt is another Mans Gold".what you see is not always what you end up getting,I proved that.

Cheers.Dave.
mountainy man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well James not quite, mine were all in pots Cool at least there are people worse than me ! Shocked its a good idea you would never have forgotten your lunch !
Geranimojess i also get a lot of my plants in the "nearly dead" section we are both cute hoooores ! I love a cheap plant or ten ! as you say most things just need a bit of TLC.

michael brenock

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have become absolutely obsessed with other peoples garden problems and it is becoming steadily worse. I thought that i would get it out of my system by writing a book on the subject but it has made it worse. I find it hard to sleep at night thinking of the various problems that people have in their gardens and the solutions that I have offered. i steal out of bed at unearthly hours to see what is the latest problem that can be solved and at various times during the day I leave the garden secretly and go online. This morning I met a lady whose husband visits the site often and she told me that she hopes to cure him by giving him a copy of my book. Another lady told me that if she had access to my book years ago the garden would not have driven her round the bend like it has. Must go now there is another urgent message coming up that tomatoes need Epsom Salts.
michael brenock horticultural Advisor (retired)
catnip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a score of 0 mean i'm a really bad gardener or that my garden is the one area of my life where my OCD hasn't manifested itself just yet?????
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re Purchasing withered Plants Reply with quote

Are we cute Hoooores, or just plain Miserable so n so's.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Catnip.At one time we all would have scored a big Zero,but over time it gradually engulfs your whole leisure and Sleeping time,you find yourself planning what to do next,I'm turning a Horse Arena back into a Garden but its not all Grass and Flowers I have Timber projects,Water projects,Play Areas for the Grandchildren to name but a few, its a long term project but I have made inroads and every time I finish one project I'm looking back on ways to improve and complement the next one.
The "Bug" will eventually hit you and when it does our high scores will not seem all that high.go back over the Questions again and pause in thought before answering you might suprise yourself.
Happy Gardening.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH. Just scored 10 on the Obsessionometer, one of the 50/50's just went against me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: