Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

how should you prune Kiwi fruit vines ?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Blow-in
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: how should you prune Kiwi fruit vines ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know ?
I planted a couple in the polytunnel about 18 months ago and after a slow start they suddenly put on a huge amount of growth and shaded out the veg beds beneath .
I need to do something soon but I can't find any info on recommended pruning techniques . Any thoughts ? Cheers

rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blow-in,

Did you still need some information on pruning your Kiwi as I may be able to help.
Import
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rathfuadagh, I got some kiwifruit seeds from Heatons. Did you grow your kiwis from seed or did you buy established plants. I know the plants grows quite well in South Africa, but was always of the opinion that it is a waste of time to try to grow them in Ireland.

I was thinking of growing them against a south facing wall - to cover the horrible housing estate vibecrete wall. Would I need to cover them in winter? I know about the sexes of the plants, but do I need to have more than one male plant or would one suffice should I have a row of plants. how far does the plants have to be apart?
rathfuadagh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Import,

My three Kiwi plants were brought late last year as small plants but have put on alot of growth.They will apparently fruit after 2/3 years.
I am unsure as to the sex of my plants (Jenny I think/hope) so I will be getting a named male this year and named female just to be sure.
My planting site is along some stockfencing in an open south facing position.
I have not covered them for winter and they are still alive.
I will be giving them a good dressing of cow manure and be pruning them now. You need only one male but aparently it's the males that don't like our climate. I believe nothing is a waste of time in the garden if you don't try you won't suceed. I live in the middle of a field in windy Tulsk in 18 months I have Tayberries,blackberries, blueberries,raspberries ,whitecurrants, gooseberries, redcurrants, jostaberry, cranberries, rhubarb and I will be planting out my little fig plant soon.( my list of wants is long cherryplums, gages,strawberry guava,goji berries, walnuts, cobnuts ect. ) So give it a go and goodluck let me know how your seeds get on.
Import

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rathfuadagh, I share your sentiments regarding trying to plant stuff and cross finger that they will grow and bare fruit. My grenadella (passion fruit) survived 2 winter before it died of. I grew it from seed. I have reasonable success with physalis. My cherry tree bears enough fruit for the neighbourhood kids, the birds and enough for myself and then there is still some that goes to waste.

I am in Navan. My berries is doing very well with the exception of blackberries - yes I know they should be easy to grow, but I have had 2 bought and 2 gift plant die on me.

I think you are optimistic with guavas. I tried to grow them in Johannesburg in SA with no luck, however you might be lucky and get an avocado pear tree growing. Mine is 3 years old now - another 4 years or so and it should start to bear.

My fig tree is now 5 years old and was covered in figs last year. None ripened. In Ireland you are lucky to get 1 crop. In SouthAfrica you get 3 to 5 crops per season (depending on where you are in the country. In Israel figs produce 5 to 7 crops per season!
foxroxks
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , I also bought a mix pack of seeds with kiwi in it. It didn't have any growing instructions. Do any of you know when & how they would be best planted in our climate?
56K Natas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about planting them but I visited an alotment last year and one woman had a plant for 4 years before it gave her fruit. She had it in the polytunnel and there was some amount of fruit on it, I have got one small one so I'll be planting it soon,fingers crosssed it aint a waste of time Smile
Green fingers

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fig tree outside in a pot. Should I move it into the tunnel? I live in a very windy part of East Cork.

Thanks
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To whom it may concern! Bought two kiwi plants 5yrs ago, First year, fed and watered, Second year, Strangled climing roses, Fed pruned, and watered, Third, fourth, and fifth year, same, Now have something growing that makes me close the window at night. Fruit! Not in its vocabulary, Axe sharpened for autumn, hope the roots have"nt a home next door! (NB, both were self fertilising)
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwis are HUGE plants. They can, and will grow to 40-50 foot in height (or more), as they are adapted to grow up tropical forest trees. Think Russian vine...
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pair of bitches can and will end their life at 16ft if they don"t show any any inclination to do what their supposed to do. PRODUCE FRUIT! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: