Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Football damaged hedge

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kerrymen
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Football damaged hedge Reply with quote

Hi, I planted this hedge 3 or 4 yrs ago, ( the exact name escapes me), about 120 ft long, & unfortunately it suffered a lot of damage from young kids playing football adjacent to it, in its formative yrs. I've since erected a protective fence on the "football pitch" side of it, & it has developed well, but there are a lot of gaps down low in the areas most targeted by the players ( my sons) !! I am wondering is there any easy solution to stimulating new growth in these areas, e.g. removing a sliver of bark ??, or will I just have to insert smaller plants in the gaps - the original plants are 18 inches apart !
See photos below :

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hedge looks like Olearia Traversii, a form of Daisy Bush which is a good coastal plant.
As for stimulating new growth low down, your best bet is to hard prune the hedge down to 1/2 - 1/3 of its existing height in spring.
This should promote new buds lower on the plants.
Keep it well watered and fed with a general purpose tree and shrub fertiliser to see it through this harsh cutting back.

New plants can also be sown between the existing plants, but these will be slow to take if their water needs are not met due to the established hedge roots.
So look after these needs until they settle in and can stand on their own two feet.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
kerrymen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice - I have a drip watering system in place along the full lenght of the hedge so that should not be a problem - is March too early to do that ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: