Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Growing native Irish trees from seed.

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Gautama
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Growing native Irish trees from seed. Reply with quote

I'm planning on growing a number of native Irish trees from seed this year.
I'm going to focus on either smaller trees (rowan) or rarer trees (Arbutus, aspen). It's my intention to collect the seeds myself.

I would like to ask posters if they can suggest somewhere in the Dublin area that has a good selection of native Irish trees, in particular the rarer ones. I believe that Arbutus is in the Killarney area only, but where's the best place to find aspen, crab apple and so on?

Also, what's the best time to collect the seeds. Is September as good as October for rowan, or would the birds have eaten the berries by then?

About how many seeds would be required to produce one healthy tree?
I collected holly a few years back; of about 20 berries three germinated and two of these are now growing nicely, five years later. The third is looking a bit stunted/naked.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The national botanic gardens in Glasnevin is your best bet Gautama. All the tree are labelled so you will be sure of what seeds you are picking. Plus they have an Arbutus just a bit inside the front gate, well they did the last time I was there. Wink I don't know what the etiquette is about taking seeds from these trees. You probably want to ask a warden or gardener there in case you get turfed out.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do rowan seeds need to be stratified?
i collected a few from a tree on o'connell street (got a few stares in the process) and none of them germinated the following spring.
Gautama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackBird wrote:
The national botanic gardens in Glasnevin is your best bet Gautama.

Now why didn't I think of that? I've been meaning to visit one of these days but the two ideas never coincided.

Thank you.

I've had a look at their website and all the trees are mapped out, it's a great resource. I assume that Sep/Oct would be the best time to collect seeds?
Gautama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
do rowan seeds need to be stratified?
i collected a few from a tree on o'connell street (got a few stares in the process) and none of them germinated the following spring.

Yes, moist chilling starting December for April planting.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Growing native Irish trees from seed. Reply with quote

Gautama wrote:
I'm planning on growing a number of native Irish trees from seed this year.
I'm going to focus on either smaller trees (rowan) or rarer trees (Arbutus, aspen). It's my intention to collect the seeds myself.

I would like to ask posters if they can suggest somewhere in the Dublin area that has a good selection of native Irish trees, in particular the rarer ones. I believe that Arbutus is in the Killarney area only, but where's the best place to find aspen, crab apple and so on?

Tons of parks around Dublin, you are spoilt for choice. Fairview park, Herbert Park, Merrion Square Park, St Annes Park etc. But one with the trees labelled like the mentioned botanics would make it easier.

Gautama wrote:

Also, what's the best time to collect the seeds. Is September as good as October for rowan, or would the birds have eaten the berries by then?

Early September if the seeds are at the peak of their redness, any earlier and the seeds would not be set (infertile), any later and the birds will have them gone. Very Happy

Gautama wrote:

About how many seeds would be required to produce one healthy tree?

Don't know exactly and i am sure it varies, but a good rule of thumb would be 5 seeds to one plant.

Gautama wrote:

I collected holly a few years back; of about 20 berries three germinated and two of these are now growing nicely, five years later. The third is looking a bit stunted/naked.

I put a lot of it down to these mild winters we are getting. No right cold to break the dormancy of the seeds especially holly which have a deep dormancy, 2 winters i think. I bet the next really cold winter we get will result in a upsurge of tree seedlings the following spring. It may be worth cold treating your holly seeds in a fridge for a few weeks next time Gautama so that you will not have to rely on winter to deliver the chills.
Gautama

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Growing native Irish trees from seed. Reply with quote

cooler wrote:
Tons of parks around Dublin, you are spoilt for choice. Fairview park, Herbert Park, Merrion Square Park, St Annes Park etc. But one with the trees labelled like the mentioned botanics would make it easier.

Do you know for certain if these parks have many native Irish trees? I was around Marlay Park today and they're aren't many native trees. Mainly sycamore and beech, then some horsechestnut, and disappointingly few native, eg oak, birch and yet.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gautama, you may have to do a combo of the parks mentioned to fill all your alloted native tree blanks.
I am currently putting together a piece that you may be interested in having a look at.... Growing native trees from seed, pre-treatment tips.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Huath
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with taking seeds from trees in parks is that you don't if they are really native i.e.grown from native irish seed, or just imported trees that happen to be a species native here (this is the problem with a lot of trees planted by the council) Confused
michael brenock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one tree comes from one seed. A seed may be sterile or it may be dormant. A seed that is sterile is usually lighter and can be floated out from the others. If the seeds are dormant and need to be vernalised the temperature and the duration depends on genus and species. For some species the passage through the birds digestive system is enough to break the dormancy. You need to chase birds droppings in the future.
Michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huath wrote:
The problem with taking seeds from trees in parks is that you don't if they are really native i.e.grown from native irish seed, or just imported trees that happen to be a species native here (this is the problem with a lot of trees planted by the council) Confused

i know it's nice to use native trees, but is this really a problem if the councils use, for example, silver birch from england?
Gautama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huath wrote:

My interest in native trees is to grow trees that are of a species native to Ireland, regardless of where the seeds come from.
It's a bit like the Republic of Ireland international soccer team. Ray Houghton wasn't born here, but he's Irish and we'll have him Laughing

A bit like the grass in Croke Park. It's grown in England but planted in Drumcondra. Rolling Eyes
CoillteÉire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Even the trees in woods might have been planted originally, although it is true that there's a greater chance of this being the case in parks. Either way you just have to hope for the best Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: