Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point

PLANT LABELS

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: PLANT LABELS Reply with quote

Not sure where to put this question, but here it is:
I am establishing quite a large new garden, and while I can usually remember a lot of the plant names, I definitely can't remember names of individual cultivars.
That doesn't bother me hugely except that I really don't want to be buying a plant I already have, so I need to be more disciplined and label my plants.
Has anyone found a sure-fire, weather-proof way of labelling plants ? I've tried various plastic labels and non-fade markers...and they do....fade, I mean!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: labelling Reply with quote

Hello Sive
No problem. Take shots of everything with your phone or digital camera and if you have the technology store them on your computer, dated and labelled.

I use permanent markers and plastic labels for 26 roses whose names I want to remember but I overwrite the labels at least once a year. If you can keep the label shaded it fades much more slowly. I soon learned to make sure the writing faced downwards and that the labels were shaded and low down on the roses.

You can also use wee brown phials that pills come in from the pharmacy. Modify the screw cap to take a plastic clip for the plant. Put the label into the phial and screw on the cap.

If you want to use white plastic tags which stick into the ground, write your tag and when the ink is dry put an unused tag over the writing and shove the pair together into the ground. This prevents fading entirely in my experience
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, walltoall. Your idea of photos is so simple and effective, I've no idea why I didn't think of that myself! A brilliant way of "seeing" my plants any time of the year. I will start doing that immediately.
And your advice about labels is really helpful too, I will definitely try the "double" label idea.
Could you explain your comment about "wee brown phials" and "spam"....sorry, but I have no idea what you're referring to, but it sounds fascinating!
Thanks again.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle got one of those dremel engraving tools for Christmas and uses it to engrave the plant names into those metal or aluminium labels. They look classy and never fade. This wikipedia article shows the dremel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dremel
walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: engraving labels Reply with quote

Thanks for the etching idea Dr. Sunny. That's really neat.

I have an engraver! Never though of using it in the garden! With your help, I also found a source of labels in my garage! Copper bridge brackets for nailing 3/4" pipe to a wall. Anneal and beat 'em flat with a light ball-pein. Just tried it

For Sive!

The 'wee brown phials' are the brown plastic containers Chemists )pharmacists give out pills (tablets) in. They don't let in much light and are pretty watertight. So you can write a permanent label, put it into the bottle and attach that to the plant or half bury it beside the plant.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks walltoall, some gremlin had interfered with your original reply.....and left out the words chemist and pills, so I hadn't a clue what you were talking about! Now I understand! I'll also have a look at this engraver idea...sounds really permanent.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Sive, the gremlin was a word censor application that remained from a time when the Irishgardeners.com got visits from shady characters trying to sell pills to increase your this, and prolong your that. Shocked
So to prevent the posting of their buzz word plus assorted swear words a word censor app would sub them for the word spam.
Since then other applications have been added to the sites software to prevent the shady characters from getting to post on the site at all.
Hope that clears it up for you. Wink
paddy-s
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a beautiful victorian machine for labels. You use small metal letter blocks in a press and emboss the names etc onto copper strips. I am sure there must be a modern system that embosses onto plastic. Didn't Dymo used to make a plastic printing gadget.
walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Well that clears up that Reply with quote

I'm falling about the place laughing, now that I understand what happened but I totally understand the censor methodology. I was slightly mystified at first until I re-read my submission in the light of word sensors. My computer returned the actual words I used even at preview and submit so I never even saw what spilt out of your monitor. I don't know how American word censors cope with Irish users, particularly 64 yo Irish grandads. I'll do my best to elucidate, educate, obfusticate and alleviate as long as you lads can cope with my old fashioned way of doing things.
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up GPI, i had half-wondered was that the reason, knowing what topics my spam usually presents me with! If I include the word spam, I wonder will that automatically be censored? !!
Paddy-S, I was trying to think of that word Dymo, so thanks for mentioning that. It seems strange there isn't a similar machine for gardeners.
There you go, a business opportunity out there for someone!
I went to Mount Usher Gardens yesterday, and there are SO many plants and trees to identify there (in the thousands) that I laughed at how sadly inept I am even with the few dozen I grow!!
Beautiful gardens,majestic trees and the River Vartry flowing through and on a totally irrelevant point, they make the best organic beef burgers in the cafe there that I have ever tasted.!!
Prudence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having trouble with reading plant labels and heard about the Brother P-touch (I don't work for them). So I recently bought a P-Touch labeller (18R). The labels are laminated and the print is thermo transferred meaning no ink cartridge, the print is permanent and the labels weather resistant.

Here's a link to see what I'm talking about http://www.ptouchdirect.com/brother_ptouch_label_printers.html

Sue
Sive

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Sue.....I see it is an American company, did you buy from the States? Did you have to pay any added tax/duty when it was delivered? I've never bought anything from the States and I've heard some horror stories about the courier firms demanding money at the door for American parcels.
Prudence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive - I put that site up to show all the different ones you can get. Here is an Irish site:

http://www.brother.ie/g3.cfm/s_page/140690/s_level/36400

I got mine from Ebay.co.uk which I'm really pleased with. I also got the 18R as opposed to the cheaper ones as it has a qwerty keyboard, has a recharger and can plug into the computer so you can do the label on the computer and print them off on the p-touch.

The labels come in lots of different colours and I bought a fabric tape to label my daughters clothes for school.

I don't work for this company!! but the p-touch appears to have solved my plant labelling problem. I know of many people in the USA who swear by it.

All the best.

Sue
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks sue, apologies for not replying sooner, internet has been down over the weekend. i will investigate that website as you advise...have just had a wrist operation, so am typing one-handed....and can't garden in this glorious weather either!
but i really appreciate all your advice.
enjoy our indian summer!
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the wrist Sive.
you are probably still faster typing one-handed than I am with two hands. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Gardening tips drop-off point All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: