Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Spraying off weeds and then burning remaining scrub

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
taffeee
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Spraying off weeds and then burning remaining scrub Reply with quote

Hi All.

Does anyone know if it is legal to burn off (using fire) scrub grass/weeds that have already been sprayed, in preperation for rotovating and sowing a new lawn? I am based in Cork, and have checked the Co Council website, but can't find anything on there. I have sprayed the weeds already and they are pretty much dead, but I want to burn them off, in order to put the ash back into the soil? I am aware that this is not the most ecologocially sound practise, but the grass and plants that I will be re-planting should offset the carbon output. I will also only be doing this once, but obviously only if it's legal.

Thanks
Taf.

verge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piece printed below is Clare county councils advice on the subject. I presume Cork county council will have the same rules with maybe even a few more tagged on. Anyway the The Fire Brigade Control Centre via 999 should be your first port of call if you are considering any scrub.

Precautions to be Taken when Burning Gorse, Heather and Grass
Before carrying out any burning, landowners should contact The Fire Brigade Control Centre via 999 system at least one day before it is proposed to burn. The location, time and duration should be given.
Burning should be started early in the day.
A fire break of at least 50 feet (16 metres) metres should be made at the outside of the area to be burned.
Inform the owner or forester in charge of any woodland nearby.
Inform your neighbours to prevent alarm.
Check the weather forecast and do not burn in exceptionally dry conditions where strengthening or variable winds are likely.
Burn against the direction in which the wind is blowing.
Do not attempt to carry out the operation alone. Enlist sufficient help to ensure that the burning is carried out efficiently, effectively and safely.
If possible have a mobile water tanker (e.g. slurry tanker) or crop sprayer with a hose attachment.
No burning should be carried out at night.
Remember that strong fire creates its own wind currents so don't allow it to burn too fast.
If the fire gets out of control and threatens buildings or woodlands, call the Fire Brigade immediately by dialling 999/112 and meet the Fire Brigade to show them the best route to the fire.
Keep children away from the area being burned.
Before leaving the area make sure that the fire is completely out. Return later to check, confirm to Fire Brigade Control, via 999 system, that controlled burning has been completed.
Remember, it is an offence to start fires within 50 feet (16 metres) of a public road.
Burning is prohibited between 1st March and 31st August each year.
Landowners have a special responsibility to preserve the countryside, its landscape and its wildlife. They should take reasonable precautions to ensure that uncontrolled fires do not occur on their property.
Under Section 35 (3) of the Fire Services Act, 1981 and Section 2 of the Local Government (Financial Provisions) (No 2) Act, 1983, Clare County Council currently imposes a charge on the owner of the property, or beneficial occupier for the cost of the Fire Brigade's being turned out consequent to a fire.
However, where Clare County Council is satisfied that the landowner has taken reasonable precaution to guard against an uncontrolled outbreak of fire or where it is shown exceptional hardship exists, it may, at its own discretion, decide to waiver part or all of the charge.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
taffeee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Verge. I will have to think long and hard before I undertake this exercise. It may be less hassle to just spray again and remove the weeds by hand, and then rotovate.

Cheers,
Taf.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: