Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

RED ADMIRAL (butterfly)

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
hawthorn
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: RED ADMIRAL (butterfly) Reply with quote

Just saw this guy or girl landing on my oregano plant so i ran down to the garden to take this picture. I never realised how large a RED ADMIRAL was until now, 60mm wingspan. so i hope ye like the photo..!!

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning, Hawthorn, what a lovely photo. Butterflies must be one of the few things that are as magical to us now as when we were children...or so it seems to me. I never tire of watching them, and always feel it a big honour when they come into my garden. I obviously am not the veggie grower of the family, as even the small white butterflies enchant me!
hawthorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SIVE for your comments on the photo. we have a 2 year old in our house, and he is the one that has us taking a more inquisitive look at nature. i do look at nature every day, but now with the 2 year old its just got more interesting.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real big compared to the oregano plants flowers alright. I never saw a RED ADMIRAL in the flesh, but would love to some day. hawthorn you must have a lot of butterfly attracting plants in your garden. Thanks for sharing your good weather pic with us on this wet day.
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the wonderful thing about children? They give you the chance to see everything afresh. It's even better when you get to be a grandparent, believe me, as we have a little more time to dawdle and observe!
Enjoy your 2-yr old......and your butterflies!
hawthorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest, this is my first time seeing a Red admiral up this close, i had to refer to Collins COMPLETE IRISH WILDLIFE to find out what type of butterfly it was. The reason he looks big is because i was using the "macro" button on the camera, which is used for taking photos of smaller objects, and i guess i was lucky with the shot, which was taken yesterday between the showers. By -the- way that book i just mentioned is a must for anyone who is interested in all things related to Irish wildlife. Just a quote from the book "Collins Complete Irish Wildlife Photoguide is the first comprehensive identification guide to Irelands Flora and fauna". I cant praise this book enough the Irish government should issue every Irish household with one. Its introduced by one "Derek mooney" and the author is Paul Sterry.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a chap i know was complaining about that book - said if it was complete, how come it doesn't mention magic mushrooms?
hawthorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psilocybe semilanceata "Liberty Cap". I recall derek mooney being asked that same question on a radio program some time ago, but i cant remember what the answer was. Just another quote from the book..."Only rarely observed plants and animals have been omitted", and yes, it is a fungi and not a plant and it appears every year so its not that rare really. I guess they had other political reasons for omitting this small but powerful Fun Laughing gi. But the book is still a must have.
The Fly
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Photo
Bilberry
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of butterfly bushes and when in flower it is regularly covered in Red Admirals, Small tortishells and Peacock butterflies. The Dublin Naturalist Field Group have produced a really nice laminated guide to buterflies in Ireland which is really handy for checking to see what colourful visitors enter our gardens.

It is also worthwhile (especially if you have children) to put out small trays of glucose water in a sunny part of the garden and it will bring in a number of butterflies taking advantage of a quick sweet drink.

Lovely photo.
New to the site so having a good browse.
Bilberry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: