Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello!

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Spud
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

This thread is just to say hello to all of you and introduce myself!.

I have been living here in London for a number of years and am planning to move back home to Ireland in the next year.

My boyfriend and I are looking to buy some property in the West Cork/Kerry Region. We are open to location provided it is by the sea and it is a farm house in need of renovation which comes with a few acres of land and a couple of outbuildings.

We wish to be self-sufficient as much as possible - grow our own veg, rain water harvesting etc etc.

I look forward to talking to fellow gardeners and sharing ideas.

In the meantime, I will be reading your posts and gathering information!

Bye for now.

Spud.
markbld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Spud
i'm new here myself but hello and enjoy, lived in London 14 years and decided to head home best move i ever made
nice part of the country your thinking of heading to
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Spud. Good luck with your future move. Now is your oppotunity to do your research on the gardening front. you may want to rethink a location by the sea though to allow you to grow the most you can. Hard to balance it all.
Spud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markbid & birdie,

Thanks for the welcome. Markbid, I can't wait to get out of London! I have been away from Ireland for 15 years now, I thought I'd never see myself moving back but now I can't wait for a lifestyle change & to recline into the countryside. There's more to life than chasing the buck as the man says.

Birdie, do you think a seaside location hampers vegetable growth? Ideally I would like to be within walking distance of the sea, I grew up next to it and miss it terribly.

Did anyone see Padraig O Duinnin on "Muintir na Mara" the other nite TG4 (I watch it online), he was visiting Kerry and some fella was giving him a rundown of how they grew potatoes in the olden days, and apparently they used seaweed as fertilizer, yer man said it made a lovely tasting spud!
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome spud. I think what birdie was trying to say was that a good few veg types need shelter to grow well and crop. Consider plants of marrow, cucumber, and supports with broad beans growing up them, then think what harsh see winds can do to their weak stems. Not impossible to grow loads of veg by the sea, but the more shelter you can afford them the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: