Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Newbie from Cork - Hello!

Most Recent Posts greenhluse heating help needed
Last post: tagwex
hello everyone
Last post: cravings
Free Carbons
Last post: Micks Garden
weeping willow tree
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
veggiesonbrain
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Newbie from Cork - Hello! Reply with quote

I have created my garden (half acre, south facing, gentle slope, coastal, acid, clay) over the last five years when we finished building our home. For some reason I planted primarily ornamental plants and just a few fruit trees and raspberry canes (which have now gone totally wild - help!). This year, frightened by rising prices and falling income I built a chicken coup which now houses 6 point of lay hens - no eggs yet but lots of pooh - and five raised vegetable beds. I have a wonderful neighbour who gave me a couple of tonnes of topsoil and I dashed out and bought a load of veggie plugs and herbs and soft fruits so I would have something to show for all my labour beyond a gardener's tan (a strip above ankles and below knees, the back of the neck and lower arms - I look amazing in a summer dress) and hardened biceps.
I don't have a poly tunnel or glass house and wondered if there is anybody selling vegetable plugs by mail/catalogue here in Ireland which will help me learn about vegetables without making loads of mess with seeds? Garden centres are great but you can only buy what they have on the day you visit which makes long term planning a bit difficult.
I have planted some Maris Peers for Christmas which are not showing yet. Should I spray these as soon as they appear, or hang back for a bit and wait for the radio broadcast? Can I plant leeks now, or kale or spinach or root veg or am I just too late?
Books! There are so many on vegetable/allotment gardening where do you start?
I shall now submit this and then carry on browsing the site to see if I can find some answers ...... Confused
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, how about investing in a brilliant little paperback written by Joy Larkcom who has to be the most experienced vegetable grower in Britain....but who has moved to West Cork! So her experiences should be particularly useful for you. The book is called "Grow Your own vegetables"...you'll need no other, at least to begin with.
I just love the description of your "gardener's tan"......especially as my husband's arms are exactly as you describe.
( I'll forever now picture him in a summer dress, for some reason, just as you describe yourself, as I don't know for certain what gender you are. I jest! )
No idea about vegetable plugs, the aforesaid husband does the vegetables....I do the flowers! Hope that book helps!
veggiesonbrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive!
Thank you for reply!
I now quickly add that I am female, married and loving life over 40+ Smile Joy Larkcom is on my list especially when I discovered she had moved to West Cork. Denis Cotter (Cafe Paradiso) has written a sweet book about vegetables called 'Wild Garlic, Gooseberries ...and me'. He acknowledges Ultan Walsh ( http://www.gortnanain.com/ ) who has a 9 acre organic vegetable farm outside Kinsale where Joy Larkcom has visited. I would like to grow the vegetables the Walsh's grow and hope Joy Larkcom will hold the key. Getting my seasons right is first target! Does your husband have any suggestions? Any leek plugs going a-begging?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, thanks for the link to gortnanain, really interesting. I have the Denis Cotter book, but haven't read it from cover to cover yet, so must do so now.
Going back to your comment about vegetable plugs, maybe we should all harangue our garden centres....who in turn will encourage the growers to start responding to the customers by producing vegetables as well as endless summer bedding plants! Have you found any mail-order sources yet?
As for my husband, this is his first year tackling a brand-new garden and I think he's learning as he goes, so I think he could do with advice rather than dispensing it!
veggiesonbrain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted An Bord Bia and they want to know 'what volumes of vegetable plugs would I be talking about' ! I feel very humbled! Watch this space. Some UK seed companies also do plugs but no luck here yet - I shall keep pestering my garden centres for pre-season choice if possible. I have asked 'someone' at Gort na Nain by email if they ever have leftover plugs and await reply! If you don't ask the question you'll never get the answer .... or something like that! I find seed catalogues and seed displays just dizzying. I am often to be found standing frozen in front of aforementioned seed displays with multiple packets of beans, spring onions or some such thing in my hands and a bewildered expression on my face. I need a moderator to preside over my mental seed debates!
Does anybody know if there are vegetable gardening schools in the Munster region?
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Vegetable garden schools in Munster Reply with quote

Not sure if you are still looking or what area you are in however you could try Dromcollogher Organic College Co Limerick www.organiccollege.com 063 83604.

Exclamation Poster please note.......edited by moderator to remove self promotion............... see rule 1 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: