Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

WASP NEST REMOVAL

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: WASP NEST REMOVAL Reply with quote

Hi

I have been putting up some play stuff in the garden for the children. Some of it is very near to one (or maybe two) wasps nests that are in the soft ground in a wooded area. I was tempted to leave them as I thought if I didn't bother them they wouldn't bother me. I would be concerned that my lads and their friends wouldn't be that cautious and might disturb them.

Our family were attacked by a swarm a few years ago (about forty stings between us, including the dog) and it was very unpleasent, so I would like to get them out of the garden if possible.

I have read that you can rid them by pouring diesel onto the nest. I don't like this idea as it would pollute the ground and there are a lot of trees and shrubs that would be harmed too.

Has anyone a natural solution to the problem please?

Cheers

Ian

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you can buy a powder specifically for killing wasps, and this can be carefully applied to the entrance of the nest at dusk when the wasps have all returned for the night. Not pleasant to kill anything, I know, but sometimes the dangers of wasp stings outweigh this concern.
I have had to do this two or three times in my lifetime, and it works very effectively.
My own mother went into anaphylactic shock with wasp stings so I don't treat the subject lightly.
Hope this works for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: