Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

What is this bug?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ecalpon
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: What is this bug? Reply with quote

Hi I found this in my new pond. Does anyone know what it is?
Just to show you it is a lovely pond of which I am very proud..javascript:emoticon('Embarassed')

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: bug Reply with quote

Hi Ecalpon

Welcome.

I see you have managed to send in the photo's. Nice looking pond.

The larvae in the glass is something like a diving beetle. I thought it was a dragonfly at first but they have feathery tails and don't have those scary looking pincers.

Here's a bit about them.. Courtesy of Countrysideinfo.co.uk

http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/successn/gdb.htm

Great Diving Beetle larvae are the young stage of a large water beetle.
They live in freshwater ponds and are fierce carnivores.

The large, pointed, sickle-shaped jaws are sunk into the prey like hypodermic needles. Digestive enzymes are pumped into the body of the prey and the resulting 'soup' is sucked back up.

Great Diving Beetle larvae will eat anything they can catch. Their favourite prey includes tadpoles and any other insects within reach. They are also cannibalistic and will eat other Great Diving Beetle larvae. Large larvae in the final stage before pupation, are of sufficient size to even catch and eat small fish.

The larvae often appear scorpion-like in the water because they move about with their tails extended vertically upwards. They will frequently push the tail up through the water surface to take in atmospheric oxygen through the terminal spiracle (air-hole).

Cheers

Ian

Ecalpon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops... I think I should not have put it back in the water then!!! Just not good at killing anything.. but that might change when I see the little monsters all growed up!

Thanks Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: