Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi from County Meath: Just discovering Gardening-

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ecalpon
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Hi from County Meath: Just discovering Gardening- Reply with quote

Hi There. New to this and new to gardening. Am getting over a spot of cancer (even we humans have our pests!) on the mend but very tired and slow. Have a guy who comes about once a week but he is in hospital at the mo... it should be called a wrecks' garden.
First thing I got while I was having treatment were 7 laying hens. Got me up in the morning and easy to tend. I love them but they are a bit wild and keep going off when I let them out of their run for evening promenade. Neighbours have not complained though. I moved from Dublin to here rural East Meath. Love it to bits.
I have a flourishing veg. plot but I think the potatoes have blight. What do I do?
Have a nice meditation pond which is doing well but water looks brackish. Fish are happy though.
The herbs are doing well; though I don't get much use out of them because I am too tired after gardening to cook! Rolling Eyes
And then there are the dogs... and the pet rats... but enough about me. Love advice as to what I should be doing to prepare for next year.. I have learned that you don't plant all your lettuce seeds at once. And what do do with courgettes as big as my arm!? Question
TTFN
verge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi from County Meath: Just discovering Gardening- Reply with quote

Ecalpon wrote:

I have a flourishing veg. plot but I think the potatoes have blight. What do I do?

Welcome Ecalpon. Glad you are enjoying your new green life. You can find loads of advice on potato blight here How to deal with blight.
On the lettuce it helps to make make sowings every 14 days, more info here How to Grow Summer and Winter Lettuces! and here "Lettuce" grow a salad vegetable.

Feel free to start a thread in the photo section to give us a look at you wandering hens or flourishing veg. Smile

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Ecalpon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks for that.. Reply with quote

I'm off to cup potato stalks... well perhaps tomorrow.
How do I upload a photo?
Ta
verge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for that.. Reply with quote

Ecalpon wrote:

How do I upload a photo?

See here photo uploading.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ecalpon, sorry to hear you've been unwell., but there is no environment better at healing your spirit than a garden, and I daresay the hens put a big smile on your face too!
Try doing your gardening in very short bursts.......time yourself.......do maybe five minutes weeding, and then rest. You'll soon find a comfortable amount of time that works for you. The trick is not to over-do it as then you get over-tired and lose the benefits and enjoyment that connecting with nature brings.
Good luck!
Sundew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hi from County Meath: Just discovering Gardening- Reply with quote

Ecalpon wrote:
Hi There. New to this and new to gardening. Am getting over a spot of cancer (even we humans have our pests!) on the mend but very tired and slow. Have a guy who comes about once a week but he is in hospital at the mo... it should be called a wrecks' garden.

to the forum and very best wishes on your road to recovery and the gardening of course. i only balcony garden so don't have the space to grow veg as big as my arm. Lucky You!!!!

Ecalpon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
From your photos seems like you put your limited space to good use!
Did the eggs hatch?
Regards
Ecalpon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote}Try doing your gardening in very short bursts.......time yourself.......do maybe five minutes weeding, and then rest. [/quote]

Thank you, this is true.. some things work faster than me.. eg black spot on the roses and blight on the potatoes.
I'm just in from a friend's house. She is a great plants woman and has given me lots of cuttings, seedlings etc... but how do you remember all those names?
I'm going to blame my treatment but I think it's more of an age thing I think!
I'll take some photos (when it stops raining... october perhaps) and let you see where I'm at.
I was sitting by the pond last night with a G&T, looking at the last rays of light on the water and thought.."This is all just so beautiful"...then i went off with my flash light looking for slugs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: