Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Woodlice - Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Woodlice - Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber. Reply with quote

Woodlice - Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber.
by GPI

Woodlice are also commonly known as tiggyhogs, grey lads, God's little pigs and sowbugs.

Plants affected
No noteworthy effect on plants.

Season(s) present.
All year round

Woodlouse, photo / picture / image.

Appearance of damage.
None

Cause/appearance
Arrow 4 to 15mms long, our common woodlouse are covered in a grey or pinkish-brown coloured, hard segmented shell. The lower edge of this shell is faintly white in colour.
Arrow Underneath the shell there are seven pairs of legs attached to a creamy-white body.
Arrow Two pointed tails at the back of their body and antennae on their head helps them feel their way around, making up for their poor eyesight.
Arrow Woodlice are to be found in the compost heap, under pots, pieces of wood, stones and the within the cracks in old wood/brickwork. Basically anywhere dark and damp, as Woodlice dry out easily, so they need a regular supply of dampness.
Arrow In the damp area where woodlice have been left uninnterupted for a while you may notice a faint fish or prawn-like smell. This is because they are related to the Crustaceans such crabs, prawns and lobsters etc.

Trouble?
Arrow The woodlouse poses no noteworthy threat to established plants or the gardener.
Arrow They feed mainly on dead or decaying plants and wood.
Arrow if you were to remove the woodlouse from your garden, the decomposition process in the soil would go much slower.
Arrow Occassionally they can nibble at the stems and lower leaves of young seedlings.

Organic or cultural control.
None needed normally. However, removing plant debris and rubbish around the site will result in a reduction of numbers.

Other Control.
None needed.

Video. Woodlice going about their day to day business.
If the video is missing, first check that you have the required player Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer. If you wish to download and install it , it can be got here.
If the video is still missing after you have installed Adobe Flash Player, then we suggest you please inform us by emailing here info(at) irishgardeners.com change the (at) for @

Video. Woodlouse close up.

Nature notes.
Please note that Irishgardeners.com does not advocate the removal of animal or insect life, instead, this forum encourages wildlife preservation. However, there are occasions where a wildlife becomes a problem within the garden for certain people. Be aware that wildlife is a link in the chain of life, benefiting something or someone down the chain. Please at least think about this before you remove wildlife from your site.

Any queries or comments on Woodlice - Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber and Armadillidium vulgare, please post below.

Back to Pests of the Garden in Ireland - Prevention and Control.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Becci
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how i wish the above article was true...... Sad

I have a really bad woodlice problem in my garden, they eat absolutely ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!! - seedlings (devoured overnight) , tomatoes, turnips, potatoes, beetroot... the only thing they dont seem to like are onions and garlic!! I thought they were leaving my greens alone until one day i noticed a load of them clustering around the stem of a kale plant - it seems they were very slowly munching away around the circumference so that the plant would die, thus making it tastier.
Imagine harvesting a beautiful big aubergine, getting it to your kitchen cutting it open only to find it full of woodlice..... horrible!!

Can anyone help me, or at least empathize? Am i the only one suffering from woodlouse devastation? Perhaps i have inadvertently created some new kind of monster hybrid.

I am an organic gardener, and have been using this plot for 2 years. I would love to hear if anyone has any solutions that don't involve chemicals or scrubbing every corner and removing every pot and stone. I am already getting nervous about next seasons disappointments.

I will also post this message as a seperate forum topic and see if i can get any solutions....

Yours desperately,

Becci.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: