Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomatoes not peforming as well as previous years

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
rayd
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Tomatoes not peforming as well as previous years Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been growing tomatoes for circa 3 years now and the plants that I can't fit in my glasshouse (not the sunniest site by the way), I plant in 12'' pots and leave outside in a sunny area. In the past they always did ok but this year they grew about 1ft and died.

In addition, the tomato plants in the less sunny part of my glasshouse only yielded trusses in the upper parts of the plant with very little trusses on the rest of the plant. Also, some of the trusses haven't yet bore any fruit. Is all this because of the bad weather we have had here in Ireland this summer??

Thanks for any help here.

Regards
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep tomatoes just did not produce so far this year.

neither did plums or apples

I have lots of tomoatoes but they are all green . they are in a greenhouse.

for the first time this year i noticed a tomatoe plant that died, it had what i first thought looked like a mouse was knawing it, but turned out to be some disease at the stem base, which killed the plant. they were also about a foot tall.

the damp weather is not helping in disease control
Sb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue to be very careful of is the reuse of composts or unclean pots which may carry diseases over from one year to the next. we are not getting the freezing winters to kill these baddies recently.
Better luck (sun) next year. Smile
janelee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor results here as well. A good few tomatoes but not ripening. So I am trying out the banana trick mentioned in another thread.
Import
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read the thread regarding the banana trick, but just a point to ponder: I experienced the tomatoes will not ripen unless the tomato has started to colour, i.e. the tomato has a slight tinge of yellow.

I have used a trick of leaving banana peals under the tomato plant. Most of the time the peals composts over time, but sometimes they only dry, but they certainly seem to speed up the ripening of the tomatoes.
Jacqcat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: oh thank god Reply with quote

I thought it was just us. We've completely given up on them.

Our beans were good, our potatoes were great but the tomatoes are just awful. Death and dying everywhere!
Michael196

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I have had much luck with the bananas under the tomatoe plant. I think the short bursts of sun lately helped things. I had thought that the supplier of the plants this year ( homebase) might have been the problem, but sounds like a nationwide problem. try again next year.

Quite a few tomatoes splitting this year, with the addition of a timer watering system. Another issue for next year.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: tomatoes in Thurrock, Essex Reply with quote

My tomatoes are outside, west facing wall to stop burning. They gave nothing on the lower trusses June through August. Late August when they started producing and colouring about five trusses up. They tasted just like Tesco's yuck and only gave a handful per plant. We've had a fair share of sun through September and I reckon it's the lack of sun that got them earlier as they are now ripening for Ireland.

(I've a fig that produced 200 tiny figs which all failed to swell and colour. Basically the same lack of sun problem)

Last edited by walltoall on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael196

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who do we complain to about the lack of sun ??? LOL
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Then sun shines on Ireland Reply with quote

Well! You can't blame Biffo or the Irish Government. They just brought the sun out all over Europe. The Brits are livid. Meanwhile some gardening news just in ...
Import

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed a flourecent lamp with a daylight colour caracteristic into my polytunnel - and would you believe it the tomatoes in the tunnel has started ripening beutifully - now to get the tomatoes in the garden to follow suit. I am hesitant to install a lamp exposed to the elements in the garden,
Michael196

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow think u have discovered something very useful !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: