Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

Making a garden gate

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: tippben
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Making a garden gate Reply with quote

I want to make two garden gates to go at both ends of a 4 ' picket fence. They willl be in the same style as the picket fence, which is on a slope, so they appear to be a continuation of the fence.

Each gate will be approximately 4' wide and hung on the existing fence posts.

I haven't done this before and would appreciate any advice / tips.

My initial question is how should I measure and cut the diagonal bracing rail so it is a snug fit between the top and bottom rails?

Thanks in advance.
JulieSh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yorky,
I made a gate for my daughter a couple of months ago - but I don't do plans, so explaining this will be hard! Very Happy

Anyway, first I measured the total gap..... yours is approx 8 foot, yes?
So - take 2 8ft lengths & lay them out horizontally - then mark the centres, and decide how high your gates are going to be. Move the horizontal bars to the appropriate gap - say if your gates were going to be 4 foot also, I'd put the horizontals with a 2 foot gap, so that then gives you 1 foot each at top & bottom...... Cut your horizontals & lay out your diagonals across them - use the horizontals to mark your angles at the out side edge.
Then if you take your verticals & screw each one top & bottom - keep checking that they are parallel tho! And lastly, fit your diagonals into the gap, using the verticals to screw into - should be nice & snug.

I'll take a pic of the one I made to illustrate - but below is sort of what I mean... like I said, I don't DO plans, it all sort of comes together as I make stuff!
Julie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: