Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Where to buy large number of native trees in Ireland?

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Novice
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Where to buy large number of native trees in Ireland? Reply with quote

Where is the best place to go when buying large numbers of native trees? We're looking for a mix of willow, beech, birch, hazel and some holly.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Where to buy large number of native trees in Ireland Reply with quote

Hello Novice.

Have you seen our list of native trees and their profiles, located here.... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

Why not introduce your self in the "say hello" section topic under "general discussion"
If we knew what part of Ireland you are in in would help us, help you to source your native trees. Smile

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
volga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Where to buy large number of native trees in Ireland Reply with quote

My advice to you Novice is to seek out a nursery rather than a garden centre. The nursery will be growing the native trees them selves, this will cut out the garden centre who usually buy from a nursery.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: purchasing trees in Ireland? Reply with quote

I agree with volga, Novice.
For large quantities of native trees you are looking for a nursery.
Here are some nurseries which carry a great selection of native Irish trees.......

Future Forests
Tree & shrub nursery with over 700 varieties of Broadleaf & Ornamental Trees, Conifers, Hedging, Shrubs, Fruit trees & bushes, Perennial Flowers. Rare & native plants a speciality. Visitors welcome. The nursery is just over an hours drive from Cork city on the main Cork - Macroom- Bantry road, so within easy reach of customers throughout West Cork and South Kerry. In addition they provide mail order service from October to April to the whole of Ireland including the north.
Kealkil
Bantry
Co. Cork
Tel 027 66176

Coillte Nursery
Ballintemple, Ardattin,
County Carlow, Ireland
Tel: +353 59 91 55621

Woodstock Trees and Shrubs,
Dreenane, Derrinturn, Carbury, Co. Kildare.
Phone: 0405-53198

Flannery Nurseries, Staplestown, Donadea, Clane, Co. Kildare.
Phone: 045-869131

Rountree Broadleaf and Native Tree Nursery,
Fivealley, Birr, Co. Offaly.
Phone: 0509-33027

Small quantities, perhaps mail order trees with delivery to Ireland.

Need more materials?

Irish home delivery.

Need more materials?

UK home delivery.

Need more materials?

US home delivery.

- Tree bargains-
CLICK HERE.

-Tree bargains-
CLICK HERE.

- Tree bargains-
CLICK HERE.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yelruf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Here goes ! Reply with quote

Being a very, very new member I hope this suggestions doesn't offend the more senior contributors. I bought a small, foldable entrenching shovel a while ago. If I go walking in any woodlands, forests or parklands I always bring it and a plastic bag with me. If I come across a small seedling sapling I dig it, bag it and plant it at home. You would be amazed at how many native Irish trees self-propogate. I must emphasise I don't rip up newly planted trees from public parks, demesnes or private property and I always make good the patch where the small trees were growing. So if you don't mind getting lots of smaller trees for free thats one method !
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Irish Tree seedlings. Reply with quote

What types of native trees have you "procured" by this method, Yelruf? I presume it only works during the trees dormant period, right?
Yelruf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Trees for free ! Reply with quote

So far on the native front just Willow and Holly. I have also got some Sycamore, lots of Cordeline and even a little Oak tree. I've also got 2 which I cannot identify. I think they might be Birch. I'm finding lots of wild growing Pampas grass and New Zealand Flax as well.
cooler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great! I collected some willow myself, it seems to pop up everywhere and is fast growing.
Gardensgalore

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Coillte nurseries, a lot of their stuff is grown from Irish seed and its cheap and good. Coillte have a bad press at times, but its not always deserved.

I've found that some other companies, pretending to be environmentally friendly, are not totally truthful. Things are not always what they seem, in fact seldom.
Richard
Quincy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Peters, Coillte nurseries
Tel: +353 (0) 59 9155018
Mobile: +353 86 2518668
E-mail: pat.peters@coillte.ie

....a very helpful guy. I went to him with no ideas and he mailed out a ton of info to me regarding trees, soil they'll thrive in, planting tips, etc etc... even more info on shrubs and the like.
I eventually got some bare root stock back in february, 150 4ft ash, beech and silver birch for something like 75c each. I got some small hemlock and western red plugs too but the wild rabbits ate all of those...

I know, not all native irish trees but I'm sure he'll help you out with what you require.

q
anchoress

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I thank you most sincerely for this recommendation?

We are seeking to restock an old cottage garden/grounds with the old native varieties and emailed Pat Preston from this post.

With wonderful results; a consignment is to be sent of a beautiful variety that will hedge and replant here.

Thank you.

[quote="Quincy"]Pat Peters, Coillte nurseries
Tel: +353 (0) 59 9155018
Mobile: +353 86 2518668
E-mail: pat.peters@coillte.ie

....a very helpful guy. I went to him with no ideas and he mailed out a ton of info to me regarding trees, soil they'll thrive in, planting tips, etc etc... even more info on shrubs and the like.
I eventually got some bare root stock back in february, 150 4ft ash, beech and silver birch for something like 75c each. I got some small hemlock and western red plugs too but the wild rabbits ate all of those...

I know, not all native irish trees but I'm sure he'll help you out with what you require.

q[/quote]
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What variety are you getting anchoress?
anchoress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering where my reply to this mail went last night.... Rolling Eyes

Ah well.

I worded that badly.. Pat sent a list of many varietie; all the old hedging, wild fruit and Irish trees. It reads like summer in these stormy days. Guelder rose, dog rose, wild cherry, bird cherry, silver birch, whitethorn, black thorn, crab apple, holly, spindle tree ( new one to us) and many more.

So we can replant and hegde now - once this appalling weather lets up

[quote="Dr. Sunny Thomson"]What variety are you getting anchoress?[/quote]
maigheomac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this post is quite old but I thought I'd attempt to rejuvenate.

Can I quote a line from this post
:
'It reads like summer in these stormy days. Guelder rose, dog rose, wild cherry, bird cherry, silver birch, whitethorn, black thorn, crab apple, holly, spindle tree ( new one to us) and many more".

This resonates so well with me....I want all of these native plants and more for my garden which is a bit of a blank canvas at the moment!!

I expected to be able to place my order of a list of about 20 native varieties including the ones you mention in the quote and thought to myself, soon will be the time to plant as winter is almost here....

Anyway, I called Coillte Nurseries today to try to place my order and it turns out that they no longer stock most of the native varieties (focussing now only on two .....beech and hawthorn). They informed me that it was not viable to stock the native varieties of the past.
I mentioned that it is not just about money but also about preserving the native ecology of our country.
I am very disappointed with this......

Anyway, the person from coillte did give me a few nursery numbers to ring to try to source my native varieties but so far I haven't had much luck.

Why should it be so difficult to buy a few native trees and plants?

Thoughts please........
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: spindle tree Reply with quote

There's a spindle growing just down the road from where I live in Essex. It's on the side of the A13 (which has more traffic per hour than the Great North Road out by Collinstown). The tame garden versions are called Euonymus or something

If you are ever on the road south of Ferbane near the Grand Canal there are a few spindles along the roadside. (I used to live in Doon!) The only time you can identify spindles AT ALL is when they're in flower for about a week in late May or early June. (beautiful little pink flower shaped kinda like an orchid: my all-time favourite wild flower). For the rest of the year (51 weeks) the spindle hides itself very effectively among other wild shrubs in both Essex and Offaly.

By a total coincidence (or is it) the guelder rose is also to be found at both sites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: