Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

lawn problems

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Redriddick
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: lawn problems Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

New to the site and have to say some great advice.I need advice on my newish lawn.I sowed the lawn last april and im not impressed with the results.Some of it is green but most of it is not great at all.Wondering if i should put fertilizer on it or some of them weed and feed products.The lawn is approx 1 acre so will need alot of it.Will try and post pics to show.Should i use a weedkiller and if so what.Getting some more top soil and should i spread it over whats there already.Any advice greatly taken.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...astpics112.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...astpics113.jpg
verge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links to the pics are not working Redriddick, its just taking me to the photobucket homepage. So can't see if you have a severe weed problem etc. Anyway on the issue of feed/weed in the early part of the lawns life, follow this advice.

A general purpose spring/summer lawn feed (without weed or moss killers) can be applied to the new lawn after its third cut. Feeding any earlier or applying a weed/mosskiller in this stage (or anytime during first six months) will more than likely scorch the young grass plants. Mow your new lawn at least every week during its first growing season to allow it to thicken to a dense carpet.

taken from this post How to sow a lawn from grass seed in Ireland-Lawn Hints/Tips

However there is mention of a newly sown lawn weedkiller in this thread How to treat weeds in my newly sown lawn (Irish weeds)

Regular mowing and feeding gives your lawn the best possible chace of thickening up. See if you can get the pics sorted for more insight. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: