Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Designing My Garden (making of)

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
paddy mac fisto
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Designing My Garden (making of) Reply with quote

I've been pontificating about getting this "making of" thread started for a few days now. I have a few things done that are the bare bones of getting the design off the ground so I think I should get them on here and get peoples opinions. Feel free to vent any comments or criticisms you may have, all notes will be taken on board.

Anyway, I started trying to come up with designs when we first moved into the house. At first I thought I'd just want a completely low maintenance place to relax/work and for the kids to play so I came up with this:

I showed it to a few builders at the time and the prices I was being quoted were in or around 12-14,000. That seemed fair enough (I also had a look at those Sheomras and at 30,000 while nice were struck off the list straight away). Bear in mind I was working a lot from home and needed a solid secure place in the garden.

Recently though with a new baby on the way budgets have had to be restrained somewhat, also the fact that I'm not working at home as much on freelance gigs so there isn't as much extra money coming in anyway. So I've gone and bought a normal garden shed for tools, mower, bikes etc... and I'm going to invest in a wood cabin type thing (it'll come in under 6,000) for working/drawing/brewing beer/the kids to play in. With these new requirements in mind I've revisited the design. I've also developed a real love for being in the garden and am very keen to grow a small amount of fruit/veg/herbs in the garden while also attract wildlife (we've got plenty of birds coming at the moment, don't think I've ever seen 7 green finches together before) with some flowers and fruit. I really want some nice tall bamboo against the main brick wall (to be painted) interspersed with some nice stones and grasses. Anyway here's the new design, it's all to scale (small square = 10 sq cm, big square = 1sq m)

I've kept the fruit and flowers on the left hand side of the garden as it gets most sun, the bamboo rockery type bed is on the right hand (shady) side. the herb garden is again in the sunny part of the garden and I think something like lavander and maybe some other fragrants in the other raised bed towards the house. All the beds are raised. I just bought myself a mitre saw so I'm hoping to get them made up fairly soon, there's a sawmill in Kilcock where I'm getting all my wood needs looked after.

I'd love to hear what the seasoned gardeners think about my design, is it achievable? Or is it pure naivety? Comments please.

Ed

Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real achievable alright Paddy. Have you though about partially screening the sheds at the rear. The garden would be enhanced by not seeing the sheds fully, plus if you have to step around some form of screen to get to the sheds then you will be adding more journey to the garden.
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had indeed thought about that, I was thinking of just using those progressively smaller posts (in the first pic) along the back of the lawn, but any suggestions greatly appreciated.
birdie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello paddy mac fisto. I,m not a fan of the auld triangle so the raised herb beds would not appeal to me, but that is just me, more a circle, oval, curvey person myself. Do the bamboos not need full sun, like most grasses?
To add to Dr. Sunny Thomsons suggestion of a screen, why not run some wire beteen posts and grow blackberries, raspberries, grapes. Gentle shielding and fruit combined.
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one birdie. The fruit screen definitely get the "functional" juices flowing. The shady part of the garden gets decent enough sun during the day, just not as much as the rest of the garden. From looking at the Bamboo thread on this site I think they might be OK. However, cheers for your comments, it's all making me think. Love the fruit screen suggestion though.
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised this thread should be in the Garden Design part of this forum.

*smacks forehead
verge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddy mac fisto wrote:
Just realised this thread should be in the Garden Design part of this forum.

*smacks forehead

Moved, its cool. Cool

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that verge
needtoknowhow
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by no means a seasoned gardener and more of a curvy person too so the straight lines wouldn't be to my taste. i did read elsewhere (maybe on this site) that straight lines can be a pain to mark out but last week's super garden on rte might give some inspiration for straight line ideas - . maybe a mowing strip should be incorporated around the lawn to distinguish between gravel path and perhaps decking for ease of mowing. like the graduated pole idea to screen the sheds so long as they are not too close together and block the light . would love to see some pics of the finished project.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs more curves imo paddy mac fisto. If you could incorparate the curved lawn in the 3d pic into the plan. Not a fan of the triangle herb beds either. The pointy corners look lethal if a child were to trip and fall head first.

Also the garden looks long already, I wonder are you lengthening further with the linear fruit, flower and bamboo bed. So curves like needtoknowhow mentioned would be worth considering.
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a curved lawn at first but I'm a little anxious that my woodworking skills aren't up to making curved raised beds to border it at the top and bottom. I'll have to have a little rethink, curves would be nice, I only went for the triangular raised beds because I kinda thought I wouldn't be able to make some curved ones myself. The curved lawn would match the progressively lower wooden posts too. I was thinking that I could just have curved beds bordered with log rolls or something, maybe covered in that "purple-y" slate and have the herbs/plants in pots within that. I've taken some photos so I'll sketch in a few roughs and see where we are then.
needtoknowhow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the herb and fragrant flower beds have to be raised at all, or even surrounded by log roll? i'm taking it the other beds - bamboo and fruit and flower - will be raised and to me this will make sense as they back onto border walls/fence. but trying to see the thing from the flat rather than from an aerial view. you will have different levels - deck, gravel path, border raised beds. so maybe it'd be best to keep middle area at the same level and the any height differences are created by planting rather than by hard landscaping. as i said previously you could differentiate these areas by a mowing strip - hence curved beds would be much similar to create. of course, I'm assuming the beds are intended to be raised to heights of approx 1 - 1.5, if not, my vision is way off!!

I'm just rereading your last post - am i reading this right - if you dont raise the beds you intend on pot planting the herbs/fragrant flowers? is there a soil issue here - i ask as this is exactly why i am installing raised beds in my own garden. if its just big planters you are intending then its a different ball game altogether. in this case i would suggest that you widen the gravel path and maybe make it curved or stepped to accommodate even square planters at the proposed ends and place the planter on the gravel rather than the grass. i'll see if i can draw a pic to illustrate.
needtoknowhow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

just changed yours slightly - the round planters could be those half barrel jobs you get in garden centers - sorry kinda made a mess of your perfectly proportioned pic!!!
Green Joe 90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might already be finished but heres my 2p worth.
I liked your initial idea with the curved lawn and the poles. Have to agreed with the previous comments. Consider a curved path with a bamboo screen at the back to shield the sheds. I use paving bricks to separate the lawn, path and beds. [/img]

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never suggested a plan for someone else's garden but what about this idea.

Have two gravel paths in the shape of an X, one going from the decking area to the old shed, the other going from the righthand side of the house to the new shed. Where they interlock in the centre, use two the triangular shapes to form your list display gardens. Use 4" wide concrete flush with the grass and the gravel paths to divide the earth from the hard so your mower can cross easily. The grass areas now run into the bamboo and flower beds and tie in better.

Just my tuppence worth too. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: