Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Dog run design help

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
iandromiskin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Dog run design help Reply with quote

I have to build a dog run in my back garden, currently just grass. At one side of the garden I plan to make a gravel seating area with raised beds for planting and a reduced circular or oval area of grass. I also planned to build a pergola over the existing patio and cover off the oil tank and boiler.

The patio is about 3.0m x 2.5m with a linear grassed area to the south measuring c.2.0m in width between the edge of the patio and the garden wall. I had originally planned to build a smaller dog area, but have been advised to make it bigger allowing the dog more space. But now I have to build it in this linear area, which I had originally planned as a sort of planted avenue with climbers etc, but now I don't know how to resolve the design issue of building a dog run of maybe 4 - 6 foot in height against the south face of a pergola as it would sort of box it in. The only thing I can currently think of is to angle the pergola slightly so that its angled towards the north or living area of the garden. Any suggestions ? (see photos).

Also how would I build such a run ? I presume with normal 1.8m wide fencing panals, but again they would be very invasive against the patio / pergola.

Two pictures of the dog run area, showing as it is now and proposed.

Two pictures of the northern end of the garden showing how it looks now (with washing) and proposed.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use wood panels. Go to a professional dog or watch the dog whisperer on sky with Cesar the mexican dog handler and you will see what is used. It appears to be very similar to the squre holed security fencing mesh.
If you use that then you will not feel as encroached upon on the patio. The dog will be able to see you and beg for treats from the BBQ. Laughing Be aware that a small dog like a terrier may be able to wriggle through the mesh though. What breed have you got iandromiskin?
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shes a goldern lab / collie. Shes about six months old at this stage so very much still a pub, but we're told she won't grow too much bigger. The upper photo was taken about two months ago, so now about twice that height, but not likely to get taller, just fatter. As you can see she can easily reach the kitchen door handle by standing on the outside step, so fully erect on her hind legs I'd say she can stand to about 1.5m.

Ps, that is not my rear in the kennel !!!

(Even she likes gardening, just not in the right places)
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have to build a dog run? I can recommend some excellent dog training classes at Dog Training Ireland and Estuary Kennels that would be a far better investment of your money than a dog run.
Dr. Sunny Thomson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feel the dog run would be cruel fuinnseog. I think there is nothing wrong with a dog run as long as the dog is not kept theree in isolation all the time. If she gets to go out for walks regularly and is brought in for time with the family as well then she should be ok. Of course water, a dry and warm kennel plus a few toys would also be needed.

This is the type of mesh I mean.

You would only need a few sheets as you have a wall on two sides already. I feel with the down turn in the construction industry that there is going to be a few security fencing panels for sale.

Last edited by Dr. Sunny Thomson on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see. I must check that type of panel out.

The reason I want a dog run or area is simply so that we can enjoy the garden the way we want too. You see the way it is at the minute and if we attempt to plant anything our dog will just jump all over it or pull it to pieces. So we decided to do something (after three years) with the back garden so that we have plants, somewhere to sit and enjoy the sun and enhance the patio, plus have somewhere for the dog too.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of IG's posters Jacqcat had a contained cat garden built.
Here is a link to the post iandromiskin... Cat garden.
It has a link to a photo album on the project within as well, so you may find it useful.

Need more materials?

Irish home delivery.

Need more materials?

UK home delivery.

Need more materials?

US home delivery.

- Dog run bargains-
CLICK HERE.

-Dog run bargains-
CLICK HERE.

- Dog run bargains-
CLICK HERE.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI wrote:
Here is a link to the post iandromiskin

Perfect Very Happy Absolutely very useful indeed. Strangly enough I would never have thought of using that kind of design.

Thanks a million for that, I'am going to have to have a serious think about how I can amend that style of design for my own limited use. Cheers.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you.
I will pop a post in that thread linking back to here in case Jacqcat may want to offer a few words of advice.
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great too. Any advice is totally welcome. I can probaly use the same design to cover the oil tank too and have climbers growing up it, instead of the original wood plan ?.

Thanks again and regards to Jacqcat for the information / design ideas Very Happy
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny, i think that a dog run is an absolute last resort for a family pet. Training them properly so that they know their boundaries and do not jump all over the flowers or rip them up is far more constructive and healthy. A dog is not a piece of luggage to be stored away neatly when not in use and should have the maximum space possible at it's disposal.
blagadan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry fuinnseog but I must disagree with you in part. I believe a dog run is vital. We would be completly lost without our dog run. We have 2 large dogs. A male golden retriever and a female lab. These two have the run of our garden when we are at home but if we need to go into town or whatever the dogs go into the run. They have all their toys in there, a heated dog house, shelter from the weather and we feed them in the run too. They know that the run is theirs, most times they go in there to poop which makes clean up easier for us. Not having to shovel poo out of the lawn. We have 2 kids so that is an important consideration.

If we didnt have the run, we'd have to put them in the house or shed and I'm sure you agree they're better off outside.

Ours has 2" square chain link fence. And framed with 4"x2" pressure treated stud rail. The posts are regular 5 inch treated posts hammered into the ground. The chain link is buried down 6 inches in concrete and theres a concrete floor in the run to stop the dogs digging holes and also for hygene reasons. We can wash out the run with jeyes fluid every so often.

Tip... to keep the fence under 4ft and to stop the youngest dog from climbing out, I added a 9"x2" board "on flat" all the way around the top of the fence, a sort of shelf overhanging the in side of the fence. From a dogs perspective, it is an obstacle they cant climb over. Keeps from having a 6ft tall "prison" in the garden.

Heres a pic, i'll see if I can dig out a better photo later. Yes thats an excersise trampoline in the run, our female lab loves it as a bed on the dry warmer days. And no she doesnt play basket ball but she does like to tag against the kids when they play....lol

EDIT - added second photo..

I just realised, you cant see the wooden dog house from the angle the photos were taken! There is a 6ft X 3ft typical dog house in there.

Our two ARE family pets, they sleep in our utility room every night and spend most of their time in the sun room, on the couch...sleeping... its a dogs life...lol
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagadan, I still believe it is a last resort. Secure fencing of the perimeter of the garden and training the dogs to defaecate in a specified area would remove the need for the dog run as you have specified. Most larger dogs would clear a fence that height even with the wide top.

All that said, yours looks very dog friendly and not so much a dog run but more of a pen, and i'm sure they have every comfort. Wink
Jacqcat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cute little run... I'm curious to hear if it has successfully contained the dogs. I know from rescue sources of even small dogs who've managed 5 ft fences.

I guess I don't see the problem with a run (seeing as I keep my cats confined)-- and I'm the type to get very upset when I saw an ad in the paper for "Westie puppies for sale, great family pets or can be kept outdoors" (grrrr.. what's the point of getting a dog?!).

As with most things, used sensibly it's a fantastic way to manage day-to-day logistics of having a pet, and used badly it's a short-cut to bad temperaments and neglect.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: regarding dog runs Reply with quote

Years ago I had a particularly agile terrier and was at school most of the day. I could not leave him loose as I had no idea what he might get up to with no-one home most of the day and I just couldn't bring myself to leave him tied up.

I came up with an idea of fixing a strong post beside his kennel and another way down the garden and joined them with 'bull-wire' stretched really tight.

His lead could be clipped onto the wire so he could run the length of the garden and back. The wire was about 2foot off the ground and ran along a privet hedge. He could not get tangled and had free access not only to the garden but to his kennel and water bowl (kept on the shady side of his kennel)

The length of the lead was such that he could reach the water but could not go round the kennel as the lead stopped when it hit the post. Obviously he could go into the kennel if he wished but rarely did by day. It took him about two days to get used to the idea and it was used for about two years. At

Maybe a bit of lateral thinking from the 50's might work again for you in the noughties? By the way I'm highly amused at the huge amount of response to a doggy question compared with almost no response for how can I say this? proper gardening topics? No offence, you understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: