Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Mystery Grub

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mpatterson
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Mystery Grub Reply with quote

I have landscapers in at the moment and they found a grub they can't identify. I've found them myself in the garden before. Best likeness I can find on the internet is the 'glassy cutworm'.

[/img]

Last edited by mpatterson on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
verge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpatterson, could you please post a picture of one of the grubs in your soil. Someone here may be able to identify it for you and tell you if it is a problem or not plus solutions from their own experiences.
Picture posting instructions here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they found a moth pupa, don't know the species though. young moths are like caterpillars and often bury into the ground forming a pupa like the one your landscapers found. A moth should eventually emerge from that case. Nothing to worry about really, I'd say.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
mpatterson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Mystery Grub Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply - this thing moves like a worm, does that mean it still could be a pupa? My wildlife knowledge is rubbish I'm afraid.
BlackBird

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pupa can move if touched or stroked, but will not move around like larvae. If you think of the way that butterfly larvae the caterpillar move, then your pupa will not be any way as active.
The moth lays eggs which hatch to the larvae form (caterpillar like), these are usually the pest eating everything, then the larvae go into the pupal stage, to eventually emerge as a new moth. And so on, and so on.......
If you worry about the caterpillars in the future, you can be reassured in the fact that quite a few pupa will have been picked of by your garden birds as the soil is worked by the landscapers.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pupa alright, could be a moth and the glassy cutworm is in fact the larvae of a moth. Not much to worry about at the moment anyway. Did you find many of them mpatterson, and if you found them before did you see any adverse effects in your garden that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: