Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How to Plant a Fig Tree?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rebecca
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: How to Plant a Fig Tree? Reply with quote

I've just bought a fig plant and at the garden centre they told me to repot it into a very large pot, then to sink that into the ground when planting. They said it's important to restrict the rooting system otherwise the crop will be reduced. I've just been googling this but can't find the same advice repeated anywhere. Now I'm confused, should I plant straight into the soil or a sunken pot?

The spot is south facing, very sheltered and against a wall. There's plenty of space for the plant to expand. Does it also need pruning down after planting ... keeping a height of 2 ft was suggested elsewhere.

Many thanks

Blow-in

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to Plant a Fig Tree? Reply with quote

Rebecca wrote:
... it's important to restrict the rooting system ..

Very important , apparently , or you will get a lot of growth but very little fruit .
I seem to remember that a 2 ft cube is the max amount to allow for the roots . That is not the height of the tree ! Don't prune unless necessary. Remember that each fruit takes 2 seasons to develop and ripen so don't pick off the little green ones which are on the tree thru the winter Wink
I wonder what pigs would make of them Rolling Eyes Laughing

Rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. We put it in a large pot and buried the pot, now I'm just wondering how I'll ever remember to water it! We might cut out the base of the pot and line the earth below with slate so at least moisture can get it if (when) I forget to water it, but the roots will still be restricted.

I'm sure the pigs would LOVE figs, however my children got there first and picked one of the two unripe green fruit, doh!

It's growing beside the new rhubarb plants ; rhubarb and fig jam, can't wait!!!

Hope alls well up your side of the province.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: