Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

The Dreaded Blight

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
caoimhin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: The Dreaded Blight Reply with quote

Alarm bells ringing folks as I feel my potatoes may have blight. Most of the crop looks healthy and is beginning to flower yet some of the leaves have spots of brown while other leaves are withered. I'm hoping its just wind damage. I have very little cover and its at the more exposed end of the garden where I'm noticing the brown and withered leaves. I first sprayed with dithane about 4 weeks ago and have sprayed twice since. I thought I was well protected . Any advice welcome.
richardwil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about what is happening - just keep trying to sort things out.

I have never suffered from blight so do not have any answers but good luck and keep us all informed about what happens.

Cheers

Ric Wiley
http://www.highdensitygardening.com/home.html
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardwil wrote:

I have never suffered from blight so do not have any answers but good luck and keep us all informed about what happens.

Lucky man, how so? Never grown potatoes or do you have a secret method to prevent your spuds ever getting blighted.

caoimhin, in his post on potato blight gpi said
5. Be blight aware by checking the leaves of your crop daily, especially when the risk is high during July and August, at these times the disease can appear literally overnight. If you find blight on the foliage and you anticipate your potato yield is acceptable, then I would "bite the bullet" and cut away the stalks. Wait for about two weeks, then using a garden fork, gently loosen the potatoes from the ground discarding the few that the blight may have reached.
The post can be found here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1313.html with a pic of the blight symptoms. What you think, do you have any photos of yours?
richardwil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a high density garden which is 10ft by 10ft and I cram as much as possible into this small space with as much as 3 or 4 different crops from each individual mini plot over the year.

As such, I do not have room for potatoes. I have tried growing them in sacks and earthing up but hzave never had much success with them.

I leave potatoes to my 80 year old dad in his allotment. I do grow toms in a greenhouse but have not had a problem with them either.

So, I do not have a secret plan, I just do not have the space to bother.

Cheers

Ric Wiley
http://www.highdensitygardening.com/home.html
cooler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh gotcha richardwil. I agree potatoes do take up a lot of space not to mention there is a lot of minding to them. Fair play to your father continuing his spud growing at his age. Long may it continue. Smile
caoimhin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cooler,
I have looked at the photos in link and I'm still not certain. My leaves don't seem to be speckled in the same way. I'll try to get a few photos up tomorrow. You might take a peak and see what you think. I don't want to take action till I'm sure as I checked under a stalk and while the potatoes seem fine they are still no bigger than strawberries.
Loncey
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope all goes well for you. my potatoes seem to be doing alright, they have flowered and some are dying now so fingers crossed. hope yours are just wind damaged
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck caoimhin. how are the spuds looking. Crying or Very sad
caoimhin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: The Dreaded Blight continued....... Reply with quote

Couldn't get any photos up. Whats the story there? Any how they seem to be flowering ok although I pulled a couple of withered stalks out just in case. I think it was wind damage as they are very open on one side. Roughly how long after they flower can we begin to harvest? They are in the ground since early May ( Kerr Pinks ) and a week later for the Queens.
verge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Dreaded Blight continued....... Reply with quote

caoimhin wrote:
Couldn't get any photos up. Whats the story there?

What did you do? Who were the pics hosted with.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been lucky this year, no blight as yet and the earlies are cropping well. We've been harvesting a couple of weeks now.

There are a few preventative measures against blight ... making up of a herbal tea with horsetail (abundant here in Leitrim!), nettles or comfrey.
heres the link to the info; http://www.irishseedsavers.ie/article.php?artid=97

Also planting early varieties usually means that with any luck they are ready to harvest before blight hits, as long as they've been planted in March ... traditionally Paddies day 17th March, or the equinox on 21st.

Or blight resistant varieties are well worth a try the sarpo mira, Colleen, Orla, Cara.

Last year we spotted blight on daily checks, cut off stalks at soil level, removed the foliage, left spuds in the ground for 2 weeks (for spores to die off) and they dug up and harvested. They were perfect and stored over winter no problem.

For a smallholder or gardener this is preferable to spraying with bordeaux mixture, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides etc .... farmers can spray up to 18 times a season, and thats just the fungicide, not to mention the rest of it, plus sulphuric acid to remove haulms before harvest and the growth inhibitors once harvested to prevent spuds sprouting before sale. Nice!

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the leaves on my spuds are wiltig slightly and going yellowish, all over. they're in potato bags. is this just nutrient deficiency?
birdie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nutrient deficiency possibly or else water deficiency. if you dont have the black spots on the leaves it cant be blight in my eyes. Were you spraying them with anything aginst blight, and what variety are they?
cooler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
some of the leaves on my spuds are wiltig slightly and going yellowish, all over. they're in potato bags. is this just nutrient deficiency?

Sometimes the makeup and colour of the potato growing bags can attract heat from beating sun and store it within, causing wilting of the foliage. Look into this, possibly watering more or moving their location. Its hard to top the natural way of growing.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon it's water deficiency so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: