Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden jobs wanted / Training periods required.

Horticulture Training

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rach
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Horticulture Training Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am looking to do some horticulture training but am getting more confused by the minute! Confused

I am interested in orgainic gardening & sustainable planting etc..
I have an allotment so I know a good bit about veg and have designed a few gardens for friends including a sensory garden.
So I'm not a total beginner but I've a lot to learn.

I've talked to a few people from Teagasc, Blanchardstown IT but I've found it hard to get unbiaised advice.
Some people have said that Fetac awards are too basic, that RHS courses are not recognised in the business, on and on.

So, I'm a bit lost. I was looking for something in the Organic gardening line for maybe a year full time but open to all ideas.

Thanks very much.
Bye for now,
Rach
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Horticulture Training Reply with quote

Rach wrote:

I've talked to a few people from Teagasc, Blanchardstown IT but I've found it hard to get unbiaised advice.
Some people have said that Fetac awards are too basic, that RHS courses are not recognised in the business, on and on.

Do you wish the training to be for your own knowledge, to use in your own garden Rach, or do you wish it to be it to be instead more marketable and look good on your resume.
Sounds like an interview, but what I am trying to say is where do you want to see the training taking you, what would you like to be doing horticulture-wise in 5-10 years.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three pages of listings here Rach to confuse you further Horticulture courses Razz

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you based Rach, is distance an object? As the The Organic Centre, Rossinver, Co. Leitrim run courses in organic gardening.
http://www.theorganiccentre.ie/organic_horticulture_training
Rach

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re. Training Reply with quote

Hi All,
Thanks a mil for all the replies.

Not sure how to use the quotes so will have to answer the long way.

re. GPI
I want to do training to get a job in gardening.
For the past 2 years I've been doing garden maintenance in private gardens but I have no formal training in horticulture. (I have a masters in chemistry, so I'm not sure if that would exempt me from anything!).

I'm willing to move anywhere in the country and do course part/full time,
but am currently based in Dublin.

I would love to do something with gardening therapy, helping people grow veg. in their gardens, sustainable gardening & education etc.
But to start with I would really like to work with experienced gardeners that I can learn from.

Thanks for the listings Blackbird, still going through them and still a bit confused about how recognised FETAC / Different colleges are in the trade.

Re. Dr. Sunny Thompson
I like the idea of doing something with The Organic Centre, but I'm not sure if that course is just for people who want to grow veg. commercially.
Will give them a buzz.

So thanks again for all the speedy responses.

Rach
medicinebear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: horticulture courses??????? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in a similar situation to you. Looking for a horticulture course is very confusing! Have you come to any conclusions? It seems to me like some sort of Fetac course seems to be the way to go.
Rach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re. Horticultural training Reply with quote

Hi Medicine Bear,

I still haven't decided on any courses.

I've talked to some people in the trade and they said with my background and gardening experience I might just pick and chose some specific short courses that I feel I need.

I would have done a lot of plant biology, biochemistry in college so I have been told that there's no need to start back at the beginning with a full time course.

Anyway, it's all still a bit vague.
I think I'll start with the short courses that I'm interested in and then maybe I'll have more of an idea.
The more I talk to gardening/design people the more it seems that peolpe
have come from all kinds of backgounds to where they are now.

Best of luck with the Search,
Rach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden jobs wanted / Training periods required. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: