Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Planting suggestion for residental flower bed

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
iandromiskin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Planting suggestion for residental flower bed Reply with quote

We have this long flower bed type thing in front of our estate on the way in. We cleared it of a lot weeds at the weekend so now apart from a few established scrubs etc there are a lot of gaps that i would like to see filled with flowered plants.

The only one I thought of was Lavender to fill the gaps, its evergreen, nice flower and scent, but does anyone have other suggestions for good hardy plants with good flowers, height and spread etc ? Bear in mind too that I'am not likely to get much money from the residents committee so cost is also a factor.
verge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea is it located in sun, part shade, soil type, windy etc. I would avoid lavender, pretty as it is it has very little bouncebackability. Very Happy If something or somebody falls on top of it (drunk vandal, ball retrieving child or otherwise) it tends to be brittle and break easily. Something like Phormium (New Zealand flax) is very durable like that, but is a bit dearer than the average shrub.
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of location, it would be north facing, though sheltered by a house opposite. It would be moderately sheltered to the north, west and south and would get the sun in the morning, mid morning and evening. Not a clue re soil type, but its covered in a layer of membrane and gravel, so it could well be a compact clay and possibly not very deep either.
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the phormium for its durability but it gives little if any flower. If you keep the weeds away and lighten up the soil a bit you could also plant lots of heather for winter colour. For summer sow lots of nasturtium and Columbine seeds for absolute pennys and lots of colour.
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a different subject, but similar, we have this large expanse of green in front of a number of houses in our estate. The only thing on it is about ten trees, but I have sugested that we put in a few flower beds to brighten the green up and make it look, well... nice. I was originally thinking of a small 2.0m circle, but I'am not sure now if thats too small.

Does anyone have any opinions as to what would be a suitable size of bed (I'am presuming that it would have to be circular for the grass cutting man) and what sort of planting scheme would be best ?
Lisa-Adam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandromiskin wrote:

Does anyone have any opinions as to what would be a suitable size of bed (I'am presuming that it would have to be circular for the grass cutting man) and what sort of planting scheme would be best ?

Circular or oval would be easy to mow around alright and look well. A 2 metre wide bed would be easier to keep weed free as you could still hoe it by stand just on the grass outside. make the beds a bit bigger for example 3 or 4 metres wide and you can fit in a few feature plants in the centre surrounded by medium and then edging plants. You could enclose one or two of the trees already there in this way.
iandromiskin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa-Adam wrote:

You could enclose one or two of the trees already there in this way.

Actually, thats a very good idea. I never thought of that. I must give some a bit of thought to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: