Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello from Coastal Kerry

Most Recent Posts Laurel hedging on wet boggy ground
Last post: Sue Deacon
greenhouse in Winter
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Garden Bargains where to find them?
Last post: kindredspirit

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dkenny
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Hello from Coastal Kerry Reply with quote

Hello .David here. I have inherited an absurdly large 3 acre garden in Coastal South Kerry. It came with the house when we bought it a few years ago. It has beautiful mature plantings, so we kind of left it alone to do it's own magical thing, but now we are taking tentative steps to make some changes. Adding a greenhouse, putting in some vegetable beds, taking out some stuff we don't like etc. So far it has been either insane bursts of energy to fix something (gorse gone haywire, rhododendrons blocking the drive), or agonizingly slow research and cautious action to make changes to something (getting rid of a tiresome blue creeping flower which is choking the passion flower clematis) . All ideas and suggestions welcome regarding coastal gardening, good gardening books, backache, and the psychological adjustments necessary to be able to buy things by the truck load rather than popping a few in the boot at the garden centre...!!!

This is the best Gardening site I've found, great ideas and postings. I am looking forward to participating!
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from Coastal Kerry Reply with quote

dkenny wrote:
(getting rid of a tiresome blue creeping flower which is choking the passion flower clematis)

Hello David, sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. If I can give any advice I will try.

dkenny wrote:
(getting rid of a tiresome blue creeping flower which is choking the passion flower clematis)

Sounds like vinca. Am I right?

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, your garden sounds wonderful. Establishing a one-acre (new) garden as I'm doing, I sincerely hope you don't get three times the backache I get ! The hardest skill is actually knowing when to STOP working.
And a hot bath with a few drops of Rosemary essential oil is the best thing for aching muscles.
Good luck.
dkenny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's Vinca. It is like something from a SciFi movie. You cut it all way from one bed, and the next morning it has colonized your car, or self formed a topiary spelling out "Ha!". It is getting close to the point where, in a sci fi movie, I would be firing nuclear missiles into the sun or something equally dumb, in this case it may be a strip burn, or a gallon tub of glyphosate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: